Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 77

53 Cavalier, LSX_Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18)

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Congrat's on your progress so far.I'm in the spare part stage on mine. Spare's ain't cheap! In post #140 you have a pic of the fuel filter where did you get it from? I need one for mine.I think I'm going to do the same as you, mechanical first look pretty second.Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2015/4/27 13:06
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Just a quick note to state that I haven't abandoned my '55 Patrician project. Right now a leaking BTV master cylinder is holding up taking the car off of the jackstands. I'm afraid that I won't be able to remove the master cylinder, replace the missing copper washers, and re-install it before the spring.

Unfortunately, I've become involved with a Sea Scout Ship and repairing and maintaining sailboats and outboard motors have taken up my valuable spare time that would have otherwise been used on the Packard.

I am now retired so my available time has grown considerably and come spring, progress on the Patrician should be forthcoming!

Posted on: 2016/1/18 14:31
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I obtained my Carter fuel filters from eBay. Sometimes you can get quite a deal there, other times sellers think those things are made of solid gold. Keep watching and you'll find something.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 14:32
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim, filters like that are very widely available from sources like Kanter Auto and Then & Now (or is it Now and Then?). But if you're interested in the correct one for a 1955 Packard they are quite different - a Carter unit with a much shallower glass bowl. I'll see if I have a picture but if not, someone else surely will.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 14:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'll save O_D the trouble of finding a photo of the stock filter. As he mentioned they are a bit smaller than those currently available and for that reason the ceramic elements can be hard to find. I don't know if the vendors have a good supply and if so, how much they charge. Because they are a bit smaller than the elements in filter units that others mfgs used few if any parts stores have them.

Some have said various farm tractors used the same size filter and Tractor Supply carries the elements but I haven't found them at the local store. For that reason I adapted a readily available paper filter (shown in this photo) for my car.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.24 KB)
209_569d44e93afbc.jpg 1280X895 px

Posted on: 2016/1/18 15:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Wow, pretty shiny tubes and fittings. Very nice. As you noticed, I haven't replaced the fuel lines on the engine. I plan on re-painting the engine back to its original cream color at which time I may replace the fuel lines on the engine, if I get confident enough to bend and flair the metal lines.

I think I have one or two of the short filters in my collection, but I don't recall whether they have the filter elements or not. Probably not, knowing my luck.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 15:55
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I'm still working on accumulating NOS chrome and stainless steel for my Patrician. On another thread, I posed the question whether NOS or re-chromed parts would be my best bet once the Patrician is painted. I received a number of responses, many of which cited the high cost pf a quality re-chrome job. I can now attest that the estimates on re-chroming in that thread were spot on. I had my front grille sent to a re-chromer for an estimate and the estimate came back at $5,000.00. The grille was in pretty good shape for 60 year old pot metal so I was hoping somewhere in the $2k or $2,500 range. Not so!

I did manage to procure a very nice triple chromed front bumper for my Patrician for $1,600, shipping included, which was a bargain in my mind. I haven't found an affordable re-chromed rear bumper and will probably have to have my parts re-chromed - all five of them. I'll let you know how I make out and the relative cost for the job. I'll most likely have the bumper ends done first and then the middle portion along with the license plate guards. Hopefully, that will result in a cost that I can digest. We'll see.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 9:35
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Unless your stainless is missing or mangled, it can be polished at home pretty easily and yield beautiful results.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 10:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I bought a small and inexpensive bench grinder at Lowe's. Then stripped off all the covers and rests and grinding wheels. Bought a kit there with two fabric wheels and a variety packet of polishing compounds. Makes it easy to polish small parts without much cost.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/29 10:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That's pretty much what I did. Remove all the safety shields and tool rests and installed two different fabric wheels. I also used two different compounds. I found the edge of a large handheld file made a perfect tool for cleaning the wheels of old compound also.

If the bench grinder is on it's own stand and you can move it outside when you use it, it will avoid the mess of flying strands of thread from the wheel and the waxy compound that gets ejected.

Also, practice on something first. If the fabric wheel grabs an edge, it can throw the piece across the room. So the angle of attack is crucial. You never want to hold the trim in a way that the wheel can grab an edge.

Gloves and eye protection are a must.

Harbor Freight sells cheap grinders, and also all the polishing wheels and compound cheaply.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 11:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved