Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Spark Plugs
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Hey guys, I bought some plugs from advance auto that they said were the right ones for the car. They were the short reach autolites. The ones I pulled out were long reach plugs. I just thought that someone put the wrong plugs in the car but now I start reading that the long ones are right. Can someone please clear up my confusion.
THanks
Bill

Posted on: 2011/9/7 7:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark Plugs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard's use of short reach (3/8") plugs ended with the end of the flathead era (1954). The AutoLite website gives these choices for your 1955 Clipper:

Non-resistor: 437
Resistor, copper-core: 65
Platinum: AP65

PS - 3/4 inch reach. "Reach" is defined in my vintage AC catalog as the distance from the gasket seat to the end of the shell.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 8:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NC CLipper:
What are u calling 'long' and 'short reach' plugs????? Do u mean the length of the THREADed portion of the plug?????

What are the numbers cast into the cylinder head on the center exhaust port very near the exh manifold???

What was the number on the plugs that AAP sold u???

Posted on: 2011/9/7 9:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
I was talking about the length of the threads. I went back and looked everything up and the lady there was wrong. I'll just return them and get the right ones. Thanks for all your help.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard changed the design of their cylinder heads on the 1955 V-8s. The early V-8s used machined combustion chambers. The later engines had heads with cast combustion chambers and long-reach spark plugs. Others here will have the specifics.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/9/7 11:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The transition vehicle numbers for change from machined to cast done were 5522-4481, 5542-4597, and 5547-2596. Machined dome chambers used 7/16 reach, and cast done used 3/4 inch reach. The cylinder head casting number changed from 440689 to 440854, later also including "CD" as a suffix. Champion plugs changed from H-10 to N-8.

The Service Counselor on this topic has more information on other aspects of the changeover.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 12:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my very early block and heads had H10s in it. one of the heads was a 1/55 date.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 13:12
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Owen, do you have a typo in your response? 55 Packards used Champion H10 plugs. 56 used Champion N18.
N18s are almost impossible to find.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 13:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy, I was quoting directly from the Service Counselor.

Looking at my 1962 spark plug chart, both Champion N8 and N18 are listed, the N18 being the slightly hotter plug, otherwise identical. The N18 is listed as equivalent to AC 46XL and the N8 to the AC 45XL. There is no AutoLite equivalent given for the N18 but AGR51 is given as equivalent to the N8.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 13:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I was going by the parts book which says the N8 (or the H10) is for the 5540 and the N18 for all 56th. I always thought the N18 had a much longer reach (3/4 threaded portion) than the H10 (7/16). Today is a good day - I learned something.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 14:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved