Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Flywheel identification - Hollander?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Greetings, V8rs,

I was sold a flywheel which, "guaranteed, it came off a Studebaker or a Packard V8, cause that's all Dad had." It doesn't seem to fit either. Would appreciate some help identifying this flywheel:

15.5" diameter
184 teeth
2.5" center hole
4.5" bolt circle
2.125" c/c
43# weight
drilled for two different clutch covers

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/3/10 17:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Flywheel identification - Hollander?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Checked my Hollander (16th edition), sorry to say it only gives interchanges by application, no dimensions or specifications. Plus it only covers the range of 1928 thru 1948. Good luck, maybe someone else can help.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 13:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any chance Dad had a Chevy powered Studebaker?

Posted on: 2008/3/11 14:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
15.5" is too large for Chevrolet, as a Packard straight eight flywheel will barely fit in a T56 Chevy housing, and it's 1" smaller than the Packard V8. (This is manual trans we're talking here, NOT auto, at least on Packards). My guess is Ford, as the 184 teeth give it away as an FE series flywheel. The good news is, I was thinking of having one of these cut down and redrilled to fit a Packard, along with a Packard ring gear salvaged from an Ultramatic flexplate on the V8's. Alas, not enough time to complete all the projects!

Posted on: 2008/3/11 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Eric,

The same thought had occurred to me. It would require enlarging the center hole, drilling six new bolt holes, which are not symmetric pattern, turning down the exterior diameter and shrinking on the ring gear. The sucker weighs 43#, which would give one hell of a launch.

I'll check to determine if the dimension from the crankshaft flange face to the clutch face is close enough to the Packard V8 dimension to match up.

thnx, jack vines.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 23:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The one I had, which may or may not be for an FE, had the correct center hole, but the bolt holes were off, and the diameter was large enough that it barely fit into the extended bell portion of the block. It's when the center hole fit that I thought of having it redrilled and cut down to fit the Packard V8. Now, I wish I knew where it went so I can measure it and see if I can figure out what it fit.

Posted on: 2008/3/12 0:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Eric,

The center hole on this one is only 2.5" instead of the Packard V8 3.125". If it had fit the crank, it would already be back from the machine shop and on an engine. I am building a 374" for my Studebaker 3/4t, so a lot of flywheel would be good to have there.

Asking for your input on this truck engine, I am boring a 352" to 374", with good, used stock pistons, using the '55 camshaft which has shorter timing and '55 heads, which have smaller intake valves and a combustion chamber slightly better squish and low speed burn characteristics than the '56 cam and heads. Should pull well and have as good fuel economy as is possible with a 374" in a truck. What do you think?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/3/12 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would have used all '56 stuff in it, heads, cam, all of it. You can't beat the stock torque of the 374!

Posted on: 2008/3/12 12:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved