Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 102

Sherlock, 64avanti, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

instrument cluster removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Ok, next project is to remove the instrument cluster from my 1954 Packard Clipper Super. My clock does not work and I want have it serviced. Also, I need to clean the dust and dirt from the inside of the three instrument sight glasses.

Problem..the service manual says to go underneath the instrument panel and remove the nuts from the studs attaching the bottom of the instrument cluster to the instrument panel.

Do I need to hire a very tiny, very flexible person to do this? I have twisted and contorted my 54 year old body every which way, and I can barely see the nuts/studs at the bottom of the instrument cluster from behind the instrument panel!

Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Posted on: 2011/10/20 19:07
 Top  Print   

Re: instrument cluster removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Steve:

Yes those old dashboards are hard to work on. Mainly because when the car was built they hung the complete assembly inside the car, hooked up the wires through the front and put it in place before installing the windshield.

But here is a tip that will save your back from injury:

Get a helper and remove the front seat assembly. This will allow you to lay on the floor instead of trying to contort yourself around the seat.

I typically used this method when working on a car with valuable interior work. I would get bitched at because it took a few extra tenths of an hour, but interiors cost up to $35K and so I thought it was worth it.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Tim is exactly right. I took my front seat out of my 400 to service the speedometer. I too could not contort my out of shape body to get at it. Once the seat is out lay a nice pad on the floorboards and have a gopher to bring you the tools you need. I can now get the 8 bolts removed and the seat out in about 12 minutes. The first time took 25 minutes but still worth it.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
OK, sounds like seat front seat out is the way to go. I will be replacing my carpet in the next couple months so that sounds like the ideal time to have the front seat out and take care of both projects simultaneously.

Thanks Again!

Posted on: 2011/10/21 21:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
I recently replaced the speedometer, but I didn't remove the front seat, that's not neccessary (and I'm 6.5 feet tall). What you do need is a good light under the dashboard, a little mirror might help, and a lot of patience. Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/10/22 1:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
I had removed my instrument cluster and had it rechromed. I replaced the speedometer from a set I purchased off of Ebay which I'm going to have to remove again because the trip meter and odometer doesn't work.
I laid across the front seat and did some of the work blind. There is only four fasteners that actually hold it in place. I took off the speedometer cable and the two nuts on the bottom of the gauge cluster and the screws and worked with the wires after it was disconnected.
I'm hope the second time through is easier as it isn't too much fun. It would be nice to relocate some of the fuses and voltage regulators to a fuse box that is easy to get to. Hope it goes well for you.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 23:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have tried several times to get the two nuts removed from the instrument panel on my 54 CLipper. I cannot get it done, I need to replace all the bulbs. Any tips would be good, I cannot get my hands or a tool on the nuts. Am I just not trying hard enough? I don't know if having the seat out would help with getting my hands or a tool in to loosen the nuts.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 13:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I have tried several times to get the two nuts removed from the instrument panel on my 54 CLipper. I cannot get it done, I need to replace all the bulbs. Any tips would be good, I cannot get my hands or a tool on the nuts. Am I just not trying hard enough? I don't know if having the seat out would help with getting my hands or a tool in to loosen the nuts.

If you are speaking of the nuts on the studs at the bottom, sometimes removing the switch or item directly under the nut and stud will allow room to get a wrench in position and have room to swing. If you are speaking of the flat speed nuts at the top which the two screws thread into then I don't know of anything other than fingers that will really do a decent job in holding them.

If you want to clean as the reason for removing the cluster then you will have to remove the nuts. If you just want to replace bulbs, it is not necessary to remove the cluster since all the sockets will pull out of the cluster from the rear with it in place. You will need to have decent access though and no matter where the cluster is -- in or removed -- use finesse to pull or pry the socket straight out. I use a small blade screwdriver to gently nudge the socket loose. It is easy to catch the bulb on the edge of cluster and break the glass. Then you do need to remove the cluster.

Personally, I don't bend well in lots of places anymore and found it much easier to remove the seat and lay flat on the floor with my head somewhat up under the dash when doing any work. Removing the seat in itself is a project though and an awful lot of work just to change bulbs. It is heavy and very hard to maneuver. If you have a helper it can be done without using too many bad words but if alone it is a pain. Once it was unbolted I did it alone by using my engine hoist and a couple of straps fairly centered on the frame to lift it up and slide out. You may gain enough room to lay at an angle to get under the dash by just unbolting and sliding it back to touch the rear seat -- but it is still work. Come in from the passenger side over the tunnel. A piece of foam or folded blankets on the side of tunnel makes the hump bearable. Of course, the pedals will still be in the way but generally can be worked around.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
I have had decent luck replacing the dash bulbs without too much trouble, but unless I get around to getting someone to help me with the seat, I am either going to look for or fabricate a 'clock delete' plate HAAAAA. Seriously..thanks for all your suggestions.
Warren

Posted on: 2015/2/28 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions 1. on just removing the light bulb sockects. 2. Removing some of the swithes to gain access to the nuts.

Will try and will repost for future dash removal owners.

3. I have had the seat cushion out but not the frame. May try that with my neighbor.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 15:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved