Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Miguel Gallego, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

draining coolant
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Doing a fall season change of coolant on my 1954 Packard Clipper Super 327ci L-8. The owners manual says, in addition to draining the radiator fluid through the radiator stop cock valve, that I should "remove the plug from the cylinder block near the starter." Do they mean the aft of several large pressed-in plugs along the cylinder block wall, or is there one specific threaded plug they are talking about? The only 'plugs' (freeze plugs?) I see appear to be the ones pressed into the cylinder block wall on the driver's side of the engine block. Please advise. Thanks again for all your help.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 9:12
 Top  Print   

Re: draining coolant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I believe they are referring to the aft freeze plug, which is necessary to drain all the fluid if the engine is to be left without any fluid that may freeze, e.g., long term storage.

To just change fluid, drain the radiator and flush the system with a flush kit that attaches a garden hose to your heater hose. Then drain and refill with coolant, either premix or concentrate diluted with distilled water.

You don't want to mess with the freeze plug.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 9:27
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
That seems to make sense. The fluid I drained seem to be clean and rust-free and my freeze plugs are dry with no corrosion and painted to match my engine block so I will leave them alone. Common sense I suppose, but first time changing the fluid. Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I seem to recall this plug was a drain but perhaps it wasn't present on some engines or yours was changed to a different type and is not as noticeable.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.87 KB)
209_4ead77e712393.jpg 300X215 px

Posted on: 2011/10/30 9:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Steve:

It's also a good idea to cover the starter, distributor, and dip stick with plastic to defelct the coolant. The dran plug only need be tightened to say 7ftlbs using a small wrench and thread sealer.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 10:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You DO NOT remove a core or freeze plug, there is a block drain at the very bottom of the water jacket, near the starter motor and almost above the dip stick. Take a closer look, it's pretty obvious, as pictured in HH56's photo attachment.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There should be a small threaded pipe plug in the location shown, you can buy a small valve to put in its place, many cars have already had one added. It is like the drain valve on the bottom of the rad, auto parts stores sell them.

If you do not drain the engine water can remain in the coolant passages, freeze and crack the block. Even though you have drained the radiator.

If you remove the plug and nothing comes out poke around with a screwdriver or wire, sometimes the hole is plugged with dirt and rust.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Gentlemen...thanks again for all that knowledge. Sure, there was the nut, right in front of the starter as shown in the picture you sent..and quite a bit of fluid drained out, too. Most of it crystal clear except for a slight tan residue at the end of the draining. Really appreciate all your help!

Posted on: 2011/10/30 11:43
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On my '54 there is a drain petcock at that location. This make it very easy to drain the water jacket. Not sure if this left the factory this way, or someone later changed from the pipe plug to the drain petcock. I've seen a few other 51-54s with the exact same style petcock. You can see it here in this picture of my engine on the far right.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.87 KB)
1_4ead8bae72f15.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/10/30 12:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved