Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help with purcase 1954 PACKARD PATRICIAN
Just popping in
Just popping in

dandpl
See User information
Summary:Newcomer needs your help from France

Hi guys

I have been offered this 1954 PACKARD PATRICIAN with the following info

Mileage:UNKNOWN
Colour: VANILLA CREAM
Trim Colour:LIGHT PINK / DARK RED
Chassis No: 54524712
Engine No:T.B.A.
Registration No:UN-REG
CC:5900
M.O.T:NONE

It is supposed to be in exellent condition and at one time owned by a member of the "Wrigley" chewing gum family.

Do you guys and girls have any knowledge of such a car??

Many thanks this could be my first American although at the moment I have a Jaguar XJ40 and a Mercedes 300SL and in the past have owned Lotus, Triumph, Fiat, Morgan and others I am looking for a change!

Many thanks

dandplRate 10987654321

Posted on: 2008/3/19 10:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Help with purcase 1954 PACKARD PATRICIAN
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Welcome to the forum!

I owned a 54 Cavalier years back and really enjoyed it. I believe the Patrician will have a 359 with an aluminum cylinder head. I have heard over the years the aluminum heads are somewhat problematic. The Ultramatic (automatic trans.) can be a little tricky, but when right work well. As for the car itself, and the rest of the engine, they are fine automobiles. Parts are relatively available for the 51 to 54 models and they are popular cars. There are a number of 51 to 54 fans on this site with good knowledge and lots of enthusiasm.

As for prior ownership by the Wrigley family, it seems like every Packard was owned by someone famous, but there is just never any documentation to establish that. My advise would be to pay no premium based on pedigree if there is no documentation to support the claims.

Best of luck!

Posted on: 2008/3/19 11:30
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

dandpl
See User information
Thank you 39 super 8

Not much help from your fellow people though!

Enjoy all you do

Dandpl

Posted on: 2008/3/21 4:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Hi,
There is quite a bit of information on this website that will help you assess the 54 Patrician. In the main menu you can use the "Packard Model Info" section to take you to the technical and production information on the car. There is also a link to a sales brochure and the paint chips for that model year you can determine if the vehicle is painted an original color. Also on this website in the main menu is a section "Packard Pictures". Photos 22,23,24,25,26,44,45,46, and 50 are of a 1954 Patrician. In photos 22-26 it is noted that the hood ornamanet is incorrect, which is true. The hood ornament in these pictures is likely from a 1951 Patrician 400 or 300 series. There is information on the PAC website www.packardclub.org that will also help. The vehicle ID plate is a stainless plate mounted on the front fender side of the drivers side door jam. There you will find the production number, paint and upholstery trim codes. The engine block should be painted bronze as will be the transmission. The engine is a further evolution of the tried and true Packard In-Line 8 but with an aluminum head and a higher compression ratio to help stretch the engine to 212hp. The original interior material is strikingly beautiful.

If you go to www.nada.com there is a section that provides estimated values for collector cars. As with any any collector car it is only worth what a seller can collect, so these are truly guides since there is not always a robust supply and demand marketplace setting the value of these cars. According to the current NADA listing, a low retail price is $6,025; average retail is $13,150, and high retail is $20,800.

I have never owned a 54 Patrician, however, I do have a 51 Patrician 400 and it is an extremely comfortable car to drive. It gets lot so looks, it has seating for 6 comfortably, parts are available and moderately expensive, and the 54 lacks the relative complexity of the features found in the 55/56 V-8 (I own a 56 Patrician and it is also a great car, but a significantly differnt car). The V-8 Club members I'm sure can better differntiate the 54 In-Line 8 and its performance at 212hp versus the V-8 in basically the same body at 260-290hp.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 19:33
 Top  Print 

Re: Help with purchase 1954 PACKARD PATRICIAN
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
dandpl: I own a 1953 Packard Cavalier which is one model down from the Patrician.

I have had three friends that have owned 53 and 54 Patricians. Your 54 comes with a 359 CID nine main bearing engine rated a 212 horsepower, equiped with the gear start ultramatic. The Patrician and the Cavalier ride of a 127 inch wheel base.

You will find that because of the ultramatic they are no speed demond from a standing start. However you will find that they will cruise at modern highway speed of 60 to 70 with little trouble. The ultramatic by 1954 was just about bulletproof, not plagued by the problems of the ultramatic had in 1955 and 1956. The same can also be said about the straight engine on your 54 Patrician. The extra five inches in wheel base over the Clipper makes for loads of back seat comfort for rear passengers. On the highway you find the ride smooth and very comfortable.

Welcome to the forum

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/21 20:39
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

dandpl
See User information
Daer mlgrimes

Many thanks for you usefull and interesting reply.

Enjoy all you do!

dandpl

Posted on: 2008/3/25 14:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Help with purchase 1954 PACKARD PATRICIAN
Just popping in
Just popping in

dandpl
See User information
Dear John F. Shireman

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

dandpl

Posted on: 2008/3/25 14:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
There is a 54 Packard Patrician current for sale on Ebay. There are a number of good photos that are posted with the car. However, I don't believe the interior is covered in the original factory material. You could "ask a question of the seller" in the Ebay posting options and find out if it is an original interior. Hope you are have found all the info you need to make an informed decision.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 6:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I owned a 54 Patrician back in the late 50s and thru the 60s as an everyday car (they were one fine car!) and I took a good look at that one. Several things caught my attention. According to the 54 Packard Salesman's Data book, there were three different interior options for Patricians, wool broadcloth, leather or matelasse nylon fabric. Seller states that one was redone in wool and the pattern seems correct though I can't attest to the correctness of the colors, especially the lighter color I also wondered about an engine rebuild after 57,000 miles when, barring abuse, that kind of mileage would just suggest a valve grind. And then another cylinder head gasket replacement? Also the notation about a valve adjustment when of course they are hydraulic and not requiring adjustment -- unless they were improperly set after the engine rebuild. Some questions for the seller but it does appear to be a very nice example of that model. A recent Packard price guide suggests $17,200 for #1, $11,200 for #2, and $7900 for #3. They are a delightful car to drive, and very comfortable.

An earlier response here indicated the Patrician came with "gear start" Ultramatic; that's only true for the very last cars of the production run, the vast majority were simple Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 8:23
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Gearstart was used across the entire line in the last few weeks of production in '1954. It was really a in-field test platform for the Twin Ultramatic for 1955. If you called the standard Ultramatic version 1, and the Twin version 2. The gearstart was really version 1.5. As it was very similar in look to the standard gearstart, but worked like the Twin on the inside.

Also the oil lines for the GearStart run up the passenger side of the engine. While the Standard ultramatic lines run up the drivers side of the engine, and then cross over to the cooler.

The end of the '54 was line is kind sketchy, as I belive they started to use some '55 parts to finish the '54 production run. I am convinced my '54 has '55 Junior drums, spindles, and brakes on it. I have heard from other people reporting that their end of production line '54 Clipper's also were set up with '55 junior bolts pattern rims, drums, etc.

Not sure if this use of '55 parts was also done on the Seniors also.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 19:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved