Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
48 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 45

packardbill, kevinpackard, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Another new arrival in the crowd!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Hi, folks. I just bought my first Packard...a 1949 Super Eight. And, yes, I've already added it to the registry. I'm looking forward to being a "regular" in the group...and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as time goes on. It's clear to me that this site is a goldmine of expertise, pride, and people willing to help!

My Super Eight is in such great shape (previous owner spend many years loving and restoring it) that I don't have a lot to improve upon...just some very small things like making the clock work, etc.

Here's one question for you: what kind of material was originally used to line the interior of the trunk?? Was it the same as the carpet used in the rest of the car? Mine needs replacing, and I can tell by looking at it that it is not original to the car (looks like some sort of carpeting from the '70s). Know of any place that would sell something appropriate for this application?

Dave S

Posted on: 2008/3/20 9:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Another new arrival in the crowd!
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I won't swear to it but I understand the original finish in the trunk consisted of a flocking material that was sprayed over the tar-like coating. I don't believe it held up very well since I've never seen an example of an original trunk in good condition. There was (I think) a hogshair type of mat that then went down on the floor of the trunk. My '50 came with the mat that I think is original. I'm not planning on re-flocking my trunk so I haven't looked around for replacement sources.

Welcome! And enjoy your Packard.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 10:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe it was also flocked as that appears to be what is in my (assumed unchanged) 47. Here is a source but have not seen the fibers to say if anything close to original

http://www.donjer.com/

Posted on: 2008/3/20 10:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Thanks for the amazingly quick feedback, guys. I'm trying to figure out the best route to go to make my trunk look as show-quality as the rest of the vehicle.

Any others out there who have taken any pains with their trunk interiors??

Dave S

Posted on: 2008/3/20 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Hey Dave, welcome ot the forum, you found the good place to meet and learn Packard. I'm in Farmington Hills.
You should consider joining Motor City Packards, a great club. You might contact Marvin King (St. Clair shores) he's kind of the "crazy cat lady" for bathtub Packards, he sees one, he has to give it a good home. He's a walking font of information on many models. Packards1 (Joel--partner with Marvin in "Patrician industries")has a lot of parts for your car, convinently located in Dearborn.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
your previous answers are correct. All but the Custom have flocked trunk and glove box finishes.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Dave,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Packard!

Posted on: 2008/4/5 22:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved