Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Brandon's 1956 Patrician
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Well I thought I wouldn't put this off any longer. I wasn't too sure of where to start.

A little about me perhaps. I turned 20 this year, Live in Oregon and have been fascinated by classic cars for as long as i can remember. This is my first project, and when i found this site it gave me some hope that i might actually see this thing on the road again.

I bought my Patrician about two years ago from a guy in La Center Washington who had too any projects going. I'm not too sure of its history but i'll post more when i find out.

When i purchased the car, it would start but the gas was coming from a Gatoraid bottle located on top of the engine. None of the windows, antenna, clock, seats, locks, or Torsion system worked at the time. In fact most of the electrical system was messed around with or pulled off.

I have since pulled the gas tank and purchased a tank from Kanter. I believe it was from the makers of Por 15. I cleaned it then decided not to use the sealant since there were no holes in the tank I didn't trust that it wouldn't come off at some point. So i primered the outside and put it back on. I'm thinking i'll have it professionally done at some point.

I also purchased a fuel pump and carb rebuild kit. I rebuilt the pump with no problems, but I'm not a mechanic (yet), so my rebuild of the carb is definitely not up to standards. Although i thought i would try.
Hey its not great but its running again. It does however need to be done again and this time adjusted correctly. I also need to locate original fuel line (pump to carb.) or a replacement. Currently it's rubber and too close to the engine block. Seems like a fire hazard to me.

The car sat for a while after that as I didn't have the funds to continue. But i recently i have begun work again, trying to rewire whatever someone did to this car. I have managed to get it leveling, heater, windows, lights, and the antenna working again. However my ignition switch, wiper switch, and all but one window switch are or already have failed. There is definitely a ton of wiring left to be done.

I don't have the door key so i've stopped trying to fix the locks for now. I defiantly don't want to lock myself out. Plus one of the connectors is melted and everytime i plug them in the wires heat up. So I'm pretty sure there's a fault somewhere in there.

Most recently i replaced the hand brake as the old one was too worn. Saved it just in case though. So no more rolling around for now.

I have no park due to the awkward floor shifter. None of the gears line up properly. I would like to tackle that next but it seems rather exspensive.

These aren't the best but heres a couple of pics for ya.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.04 KB)
457_47e2f89ca596d.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (51.90 KB)
457_47e2f8af098f3.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (29.39 KB)
457_47e2f8bac81f2.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (46.71 KB)
457_47e2f8c557ee6.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (46.66 KB)
457_47e2f8cfa62b7.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/3/20 18:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Brandon's 1956 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on getting as far as you have. The butchered electrics you started with and what you've managed to get going speak volumes. The ignition switch is a weak area as a lot of current goes thru and contacts take a beating. I see in the pict that it's out. If its the original be careful installing one or working around it because the bezel retaining it breaks easily and are getting hard to come by. The wiper switch should just be mechanical moving a wire inside a cable to vacuum motor so curious what might have failed. If there is a kink or bind, did the cable jam or come off? The washer part is electrical, just supplying a ground when pushed and if there is no washer bottle & mechanism, no connection. Window switches and their connectors are probably corroded from inaction and need taken apart and cleaned. Which connector gets hot?

Posted on: 2008/3/20 19:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brandon,

Welcome to Packardinfo, I know it's somewhat belated as I've seen your other posts, but it's more for this Project Blog aspect. I'll be following with interest the progress on your Patrician.

Can I ask, as a 61yo old fogey, how did you become interested in your Packard or Packards in general? As a 20yo you're probably the youngest member of Packardinfo!

Wish you all the best with Pat. Don't forget to speak up, here or in the V8 Forum, as there's plenty of friendly and experienced Packard people here who are willing to help.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 20:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Brandon, u have a VERY DESIREABLE car there. It is one of the last 300 56 Pat's built. The longer u own it and the more u drive it the more u will like it.
I'm glad to see a young man interested in the 55-56 Packards. I'm confident that WE will learn as many new ideas from your generational perspective as u will glean from the long-time owners of these cars.
From time to time u mite see a bit of "flaming" go on between many of us as we disagree with each other. DON'T let that dissuade u or let it create any negative images about any of us. It's usualy short lived and in the end everyone learns something new.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 20:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You have a great start! And I like you solving your problems yourself, but don't forget we're here to help. The motor serial number is stamped on the top of the block to the right of the oil filler pipe. Verify that it is the original engine. It will be the same 5682-4487 number that is on the doorpost tag. The reason I say to check the engine is the red color. I notice your air cleaner is on backwards. Turn it 180 degrees. The fuel line from the pump to the gas filter is steel and you should be able to pick up a length of line with the fittings already on it and bend it to shape. The electric switches all have internal brass contacts and can be carefully disassembled, polished to look like new and reassembled.
The front end has probably not been molested because the whiskers under the parking lights wrap around and are tucked under the grille as they should be. We'll all be looking forward to see your progress.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 21:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Brandon--great looking car, and Welcome. I was about your age when the Packard bug bit me. You car has a very high serial number, making it very near the end of production. My car, like yours is a single-color paint scheme. When I decided I liked cars of the 50s and wanted one I always envisioned a typical two-tone car of the day, turquoise and white, light green and white, etc. (actually some of my earliest automotive memories are of the 50s cars still on the roads in the very early 60s).
We're here to help, and many of us have been up this mountain before. PackardV8 and Randy Berger are very knowlegable on the V8 engine. You are going to love the T-L ride, there's nothing like it.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 6:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Brandon wrote:
I have no park due to the awkward floor shifter. None of the gears line up properly. I would like to tackle that next but it seems rather exspensive.

Brandon,

There's a pushbutton unit on eBay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50s-PACKARD-TRANSMISSION-PUSH-BUTTON-SELECTOR-RAT-ROD_W0QQitemZ360034416273QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360034416273

Posted on: 2008/3/21 22:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Mal, good spotting, but I wouldn't waste my time on that. The idiot who removed it cut all the wires and this thing has special contacts and a unique plug. He can probably find a complete setup with relays and all if he looks hard enough.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 22:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I may have the stuff you need, just tell me what you're looking for exactly. I've got a box of '56 pushbutton stuff from the column unit to the motor and gearbox on the trans. (unfortunately, some of the wires have been cut on some of it) in the closet that I'm not going to need now that I've sold my Patrician.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 22:50
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Well i've always loved how cars used to look. Like someone actually enjoyed what they were doing and put a little heart into what they should look like. Not like these things that look like tennis shoes or boxes.

When I bought this one i was actually looking for something I could drive, but when i saw a picture of it on craigslist I knew instantly that was the one. Plus who can pass up a luxury car!

The ignition is actually hanging behind the hole, i had it rigged up there with a broken retainer, duct tape and hose clamp. It wasn't pretty but it worked. The ignition i have is bad you have to pull the key up as you turn it or it wont move. I have another unit but no key. I figured id wait till i got the new one a key to worry about getting the bezel.

As far as the wipers go I've (as far as i know) have replaced the vacuum tubes according to the book. But the switch itself makes a hissing noise and then became loose in the dash. They go up but not down.

I belive it was the drivers door that the connecter was melted. Right where it connects to the lock itself.

I Have an extra relay or so, the actuator unit and a new button set. However the actuator is taken apart and the wires to the motor are cut or broken off. Its in pretty bad shape on the inside as well. Bits of cloth all over and the brushes are bad.

Oh and btw i looked for the serial on the block and couldn't find it, but i was in a hurry this morning so ill look again when i get home.

Posted on: 2008/3/22 13:31
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved