Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Brandon's 1956 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are some of picts to give you an idea of wiper switch. Try reversing the hoses on the switch, make the one toward middle (silver one) the source. I believe they are reversed and when the "speed/sweep" lever is toward center of car, the top port is uncovered. (pic2). The other pictures shows the complete assy. If they are hooked up correctly and still hisses, then the rubber valve or pressure spring is probably shot or dirty so the ports are not sealing. The only electrical connect is at the back and just provides a ground if washer is hooked up.

EDIT: Before someone calls me on it, I just realized the middle picture is out of sequence. The bezel & nut should be between the switch and sweep lever.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.30 KB)
209_47e56118af123.jpg 640X405 px

jpg  (15.58 KB)
209_47e56127500ef.jpg 640X188 px

jpg  (22.97 KB)
209_47e56183e63af.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/3/22 14:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Still not sure which connector you are referring to. When you say by the lock, if you mean there is a big solenoid & single wire connector to the rear of the door next to that lock mechanism, that's an optional lock actuator and there should be no power there unless a silver button on the underside of each end of dash is pushed. I don't see the relay under the hood in the normal position for the locks--only the window/seat relay. If you mean the connector to power window switch, then the center red wire is hot and should only be current flow if switch pushed. If hot when moving window, then there is probably a high resistance connection causing the heat or a bad motor/switch. If it gets hot just plugging in, then at the least a bad switch and the circuit breaker should be tripping.

Posted on: 2008/3/22 15:39
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Sorry, it is the connector on the solenoid that is melted, and the other wire that gets hot is on the floor next to the wiring for the front seat. I haven't ever let i go long enough to trip the circuit.

Looking at it now i don't think these are supposed to be plugged in together. Every time i take it out and plug it back in, I hear one or more solenoids click. But they wont disengage until it is removed.

If i can i will try and get some pictures up after the weekend.

Posted on: 2008/3/22 16:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wondering if you have a bad spot in the black loom and somehow the power window or seat hot is getting crossed with the solenoid wires. I do see a couple of raw areas near brake pedal. The solenoids would be spliced together in various places but the feed would be from a relay that should be mounted on cowl next to the the window/seat relay and circuit breaker and would get power thru that breaker. I don't see that relay unless it is hidden behind WS washer stuff. In no case should plugging something in under seat activate them. Only 2 hots I can think of that exit under seat would be for cigarette lighter as a single wire and seat motors in center of a 5 pin plug on switch. Do you have the schematics?

Posted on: 2008/3/22 17:01
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I do have The Repair manual and Parts book, although the electrical schematic is quite an eyefull.

I dont see the relay you are talking about either perhaps i have it in a box somewhere? What should it look like?

Posted on: 2008/3/22 17:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Same relay as window and usually mounts something like this. This is the solenoid we are speaking of?

Attach file:

jpg  (5.30 KB)
209_47e5938c53f9d.jpg 244X130 px

jpg  (30.01 KB)
209_47e593989aeb9.jpg 403X633 px

jpg  (36.97 KB)
209_47e595ab2dcdf.jpg 576X407 px

Posted on: 2008/3/22 18:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
That would be the connector that is melted (pic 2) next to the solonoid, and i definatly dont think that relay is there, but i do have a couple of them in a box.

Maybe if it stops raining here i could get some more wiring done.

Posted on: 2008/3/22 19:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ahh, the joys of Portland and the rain. I have a good friend next door in Vancouver putting his 52 together although his is in garage. He wants me to come help but so far hasn't guaranteed a week without rain so I haven't volunteered.

Is there power there now just sitting with key on? If not, it could have dropped off and shorted at some time melting the connector or if power there now, I suspect it may be getting fed from the window relay or a short in that loom. If power, does the solenoid work? They're not designed for continuous operation.

Posted on: 2008/3/22 19:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Brandon:

another old fogey here. Welcome to the board. As you can see there is a wealth of knowledge and info out here. On the parts side I may be of some help. Elsewhere on the board are some posts relating to a bunch of parts that I bought for 55/56. If you need anything let me know.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 8:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I took a look today for the lock relay and its definitely not there. And i didn't see any holes drilled for it on the firewall.

How many relays should be by the the shifting relay?
There is one down there that looks like the lock relay, but i haven't traced the wires yet. Would it perhaps been mounted on the fender?

The solenoid by the lock only activates when i plug the mystery wire in. It wont however deactivate until i unplug it.

I did manage to clean up the engine compartment some more today. I pulled out all of the cut wire harnesses for the PB Shifter. EVERYTHING was cut except for the wires to the button unit itself.

Still haven't gotten my hands on a camera but when i do ill post some better pics of whats going on in there.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 16:19
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved