Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 43

Caribbeandude, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1940 Picture Packard Contest
Just popping in
Just popping in

goodoldboy911
See User information
Thanks for your help guys. I have been having trouble finding any e-mail addresses for the names you gave me for help with the medal. If you can get me an e-mail I would supr appreciate it.

As to where the medal is: I have it at this time and I wanted to get more info before I offer it for auction on ebay.

Thanks to all,
JEFF

Posted on: 2011/12/15 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Perhaps in the future you might want to state your intentions of offering something for sale on eBay. I think this is a cheesy way of getting your research blurb taken care of for you.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 21:39
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
How about before you put it on ebait, you offer it here. In fact I would pay a premium price to hang it on Jim Hollingsworth tree this week. PM me or post a price - I call first dibs - I am not buying for resale - I will post a picture of it in Jim's hand pronto. If you are not keeping it, i only hope your research has figured out where it belongs.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 22:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
That is a splended idea, Dave! This could not go to a more deserving recipient. Jim has dedicated so much to the 1940 Packard, and helping fellow enthusitsts.

I can only hope this is given due consideration.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 0:19
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

goodoldboy911
See User information
I am sorry if my mentioning selling this medal in ebay upset any of you, that was not my intention.
I have been doing my research for several months now with little success.
I have written to packardinfo.com and was informed they have no knowledge of the medal or the contest on file.
I have written to half a dozen Packard car clubs and no response from them.
I have written to several medal producers that were in existance in the 40's, and they don't know who made these medals for Packard.
I have managed, thru the internet, to get a copy of the ad about the contest and a listing of the medals. There were 50 silver and 100 bronze, but I have been unable to find out who made the medals, what is their metalic content, which picture won this particular medal and if any others of this type have ever been offered.
I am a coin person and I would not sell a coin if I didn't know what it was or what it was worth. People ask me all the time about coins and I will always give them any info I have about the coin or it's value. All I asked was the same from this club. I don't think this was "a cheesy way of getting your research blurb". It's just a sharing of knowledge, isn't that what the club is about?
When I have finished my research I will gladly advise this forum of any major results and also let you know if I decide to offer this item for sale.
JEFF

Posted on: 2011/12/16 4:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I just saw one sell on ebay two weeks ago , a bronze one, on link is below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-PICTURE-PACKARD-CONTEST-HONORABLE-MENTION-MEDAL-217-GRAMS-2-1-2-INCHES-/281032636523?ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

was this a good price?

Posted on: 2012/12/15 0:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
I have been collecting Packard and Packard employee memorabilia for quite some time. I have noticed that they had two major sources for items such as yours.

IMHO their largest supplier was Weyhing Brothers on Gratiot Avenue in Detroit and not too far from the PMCC Building on the EGB. The last time I was in their shop was about 7 years ago when our region had them reproduce a Packard employee pin from the original dies.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-16231482-weyhing-brothers-mfg-company-detroit

Another supplier was Whitehead & Hoag in Newark, N.J., but I think they went out of business in 1955.

Now that you have this information you should consider the offer to purchase by "Flackmaster" for your medal.

I don't believe it was clear from the earlier posts, but Jim Hollingsworth was THE 1940 Packard expert. However, Jim died on October 20 of this year and it might not be appropriate to contact his family. "Flackmaster" is just trying to honor Jim's memory and contributions to Packard history by adding the medal to Jim's memorial tree.

Posted on: 2012/12/15 8:13
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

goodoldboy911
See User information
Thanks for the help. The picture on ebay looks the same as mine, but it looks to be silver not bronze. If it is the silver the price was way below melt. I am still searching to find out what content of silver was in this medal.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 3:31
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

goodoldboy911
See User information
Thanks for the help. Will try to contact Weyhing Brothers and see if they made these medals.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 3:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved