Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 118

humanpotatohybrid, Greg, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Bendix MC problem
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
so i pulled it apart and i found that the bottom part of the air-piston-thing (in the booster) there was a hole.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

what should i do? i'd rather not replace the whole unit..

Attach file:

jpg  (39.50 KB)
586_47e9d8ffe327a.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (36.14 KB)
586_47e9d9290f357.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/3/26 0:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Bendix MC problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not real familiar with this particular power booster. However, my first thot is to get a new or good used replacement part and put it in.
HOWEVER, u mite consider taking a bolt, nut and a couple of washers and installing them thru the hole. Might have to get a bolt with a very thin head or have the head turned down or JUDICOUSLY grind it down on a grinder. If i remeber rite, there is a rod that pushes against the center of the piston in the pic. I'm guessing that is what eventualy weakened the center and thus pushed a hole thru it. Probably because there was not enuf vacuum to the power unit and someone got on it with a gorilla leg.

I would first try to find a replacement part. In the mean time try the bolt fix i explained above. What have u got to lose?????? That part is no good the way it is. So try fixxing it with a bolt thru the center.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 7:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm guessing that something was stuck in the hydraulic section and someone thought they could "push" it through by way of the pedal - not a wise move.

It's not often something goes wrong with the vacuum section in the TreadleVac, which is probably why the minor overhaul kit was made to rebuild only the hydraulic section. Unlike the repro minor overhaul kit, new parts for the vaccum section may not be readily available these days. Since the design of the vacuum piston assembly evolved over the years, you would have to download the 48-54 and 55-56 parts books to see if the part you need was used other years.

If the gasket is still in good shape, I suggest you locate a used assembly and transfer the part(s) you need. Otherwise, you may need to turn it over to a reputable rebuilder that specializes in the Treadlevac.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know whether it's appropriate to recommend specific vendors on this website, but I can recommend Ed Strain down in Florida as a top notch rebuilder of Bendix TeadleVacs. He does hundreds per year and I have experience with perhaps a dozen he's done for friends of mine. You'll find his phone# in Hemmings in the Packard section. Like many rebuilders he has needed service parts manufactured for his own use, but not for sale individually.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 9:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
i was thinking i may just JB weld the F out of it..

Posted on: 2008/3/26 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NO! That is definately NOT an application for JB Weld. Too much pressure put on it at that point.

Put a bolt thru it with a large washer on each side and a thin stop nut. Use a bolt big enuf in diameter. Might have to use a center drill to drill a recess into the bolt head to allow indexing of the acuator rod.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 13:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
the problem is, i only have a grand total of ~1/8" to work with.. the piston rod seats against it at the place it broke on one side so thats 0" i have to work with on that side.. the thing itself is around 1/16" and there's another 1/16" space between it and the bottom part of the diaphram assembly thing.. and it has to be air-tight as well? *sigh*

J.D. over at maxmerrittauto.com is looking for a replacement for me.. so.. we'll see..

Posted on: 2008/3/26 14:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
yep! he came through (just like i knew he would)! the replacement part is on the way!

also.. doing some research a friend of mine found this:

muggy weld

opinions?

Posted on: 2008/3/26 14:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
the leather seal calls for "bendix vacuum cylinder oil".. i've heard i could use "mink oil" or "neatsfoot oil".. wadaya think?

Posted on: 2008/4/2 18:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have no idea why anyone would want to fix one of these POS.

Replace it with something that is actually reliable and will not get you killed.

Just MHO.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/4/2 21:31
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved