Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

Ozstatman, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What if S-P had more money in 1957?
Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
How about taking a Loewy coupe or Hawk and putting it on a 55-56 Clipper chassis? Them you'd have something.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 8:05
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Well, I believe everyone has made some very valid points about the direction S-P might have taken in 1957. Looking back (and knowing that 57-58 Packards are in no way the same as my favored 56's), the styling of these cars has made me appreciate what was done with virtually no money and little time. The 58 Packard hardtop is actually a beautiful car to me--allbeit a bit strange and with tacked- on headlight nacelles and fins. But overall it makes a rather good-looking hardtop. And these cars were certainly trouble free. I was amazed at how well a 57 Clipper rode with its "Luxury Level" ride! Here's a picture of my take on what a '57 Caribbean might have looked like.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 8:20
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Howard,

I downladed Infranview, but really don't know what to do with it. I am computer challenged! Could I possibly ask you to e-mail me at jcmdc@windstream.net so that I have your address and can attach the photo for you to post on this thread? I would really appreciate it!

Posted on: 2012/1/5 9:06
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Esquireman -

Anyone who can attach and send a pic via e-mail, should be able attach a pic to a forum post, here. Since you've previously accomplished that with a pic of your '56 Patrician in another thread, I can only conclude that the problem you're experiencing lies with the image itself - most likely, the file size.

The FAQ forum contains a couple of posts that you should review.

First, read BigKev's post on WEBSITE: Photo Posting Guide Lines covers the basics, but note that he has increased the maximum file size to 2MB.

Then, take a look at his post on WEBSITE: Free Image Resizing Tool, which provides a link to a free and easy-to-use image resizing tool the he wrote for us.

Beyond that make sure the image is in JPEG format, and keep the filename short and simple. When naming the file, use of the underscore character is fine, but when in doubt, avoid special characters altogether. Stick to letters and numbers.

As I'm sure you will have other photos to post in the future, you should take time to master the technique now.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

phsnkw wrote:
How about taking a Loewy coupe or Hawk and putting it on a 55-56 Clipper chassis? Them you'd have something.

Goodness knows Studebaker certainly needed a rigid frame on the coupes & hardtops so that is a very interesting proposal. I wonder if it could be done though. One of the reasons they were forced to go the way they did on the 57 Packard was size. Packard components were large and the Studebaker cars and assembly lines were so much narrower that Packard components couldn't fit the line. I expect the frame would have been pretty large for a Loewy body.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Esquireman wrote:
Well, I believe everyone has made some very valid points about the direction S-P might have taken in 1957. Looking back (and knowing that 57-58 Packards are in no way the same as my favored 56's), the styling of these cars has made me appreciate what was done with virtually no money and little time. The 58 Packard hardtop is actually a beautiful car to me--allbeit a bit strange and with tacked- on headlight nacelles and fins. But overall it makes a rather good-looking hardtop. And these cars were certainly trouble free. I was amazed at how well a 57 Clipper rode with its "Luxury Level" ride! Here's a picture of my take on what a '57 Caribbean might have looked like.

Here is Esquireman's proposal.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.15 KB)
209_4f05be9cce065.jpg 1200X873 px

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Alas, when I click on the image resizer tool, I am told that this file does not exist.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:18
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks for trying.

I just checked that linked and got a 404 error. The problem is not with your set.

Could be the file got dropped when the site was moved to a new hosting server a few months back. I will notify BigKev. He's away on business for the week, but I'm sure he will address this upon his return.

Meanwhile, I see that HH56 has attached your image.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hey, many thanks for helping the technologically challenged!

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:26
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
GTO, there've been at least 2 Loewy coupes made into convertibles. The February 2012 issue of Hemmings Classic Car has a picture of one that was made by a former Studebaker factory employee!

Posted on: 2012/1/5 12:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved