Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 98

Guscha, michael biegas, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Speedo drive in gearbox
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
I cleaned up my gearbox on the outside and also removed the speedo cable - cleaned and lubricated it with graphite powder.

The cable seems fine and didnt bind at all, but it does not seem to engage into the gearbox. Doesnt seem to reach far enough. I am thinking that something is missing inside the box? Cant feel anything that it should be engaging to. Can feel what feels like a worm gear drive?

Any ideas?

Posted on: 2008/4/1 8:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Speedo drive in gearbox
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Sounds like you are missing the driven gear. You should be able to see the end of the gear with a small square hole in the end. If it's not there, you need a gear. Shouldn't be too hard to find. I have an extra or two.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks 49 packard.

It is indeed missing this gear. Dont know where it went?!

How much would those gears be if you are willing to sell it?

Posted on: 2008/4/7 4:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Is your transmission an overdrive? If it is it should be an R11 as Packard changed from R9 to R11 in 1949. However, the spedo gears are different.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
It is a standard 3 speed with no overdrive. Where do I see this number? Somewhere on the gearbox casing?

Posted on: 2008/4/9 1:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If there's no overdrive, you won't see that number, it's the designation of the overdrive.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 1:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I'll check to see if I have any for the non-overdrive transmission. However, I think the only ones I have are for the overdrive unit.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If you can't find one, I have a standard 3 speed out of a '48 that you can have. As far as I'm concerned, you can have the whole trans, just pay the shipping, which I would imagine won't be too cheap.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Turbopacman - thanks for the offer. Shipping to RSA is very very expensive. I was quoted $66.00 for shipment of a door latch from the US!!! I do not even want to imagine what a whole gearbox would be. Let me know if you are willing to part with the gear only and what you want for it. That shipping should be manageable.

49Packard - thanks for your help as well. I do not think I will get that gear here locally.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 4:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Sorry. I just got to my storage and I do have two extras. However, one fits the the R9 overdrive and the other fits an R11. I don't have any for the trans without an overdrive.

You might try Max Merritt I think he has one.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 22:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved