Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Using classics as a business
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I've just been laid off and the prospects to return are dismal (Refineries worldwide are having a tough time) and I have fallen victim to that.

On a lighter note, I am considering, along with due diligence, starting a small business that provides classic cars for weddings, special events, film productions, etc.

I believe that several members here have endeavours similar to this, although not all in the US.

Would anyone be willing to share advice, etc. on such a venture, Good, bad, ugly?

Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:42
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print 

Re: Using classics as a business
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My understanding is that for livery service, in most (all?) states you'll require commercial or livery vehicle registration, chauffeur or commercial driver's license, and heavy insurance coverage would seem a must.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Need an EXCELLENT cooling system for long periods of idleing. Most likely need Air conditioning. Alcohol, and 420 among other refreshments in the car can become an issue depending on local law enforcement and 'politics'.

Mite be further ahead trying to rent the car out for vids. But even that can present problems with amature camera operations. In many cases there is a very high lift bucket truck (very LARGE) and RC copters with cameras. Usualy such operators of that equipment are a bit careless or simply not careful enuf and such equipment can do damage to props (like your car) if it is in the vicenity of the equipment when it fails or swings around.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 17:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe rent the car out as a stationary attraction for businesses. If u want to try the 'limo' business just go to work for some limo owner as adriver and learn the ropes. Keep YOUR car out of it until later.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 17:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have heard pretty much nothing but horror stories related to renting your car to a movie shoot. I have experience with one movie and one of the cars was beat up when they were done, but neither were particularly valuable or a classic, FWIW.

As far as limo business is concerned, that's very competitive. I met one guy with a 49 Henney (kind of a "stretch") and he wants to sell it rather than continue with the limo deal.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/1/27 18:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Rich:

How many stories would you like to hear? I must have known a dozen people who tried this. However, it seems the end result was badly rundown vehicles because maintenance was always being deferred. Secondly, the whole thing is incredibly boring. You might try teaming up with a photographer if you really want to pursue it. Also, I think what people want today are exaggerated long wheelbase limos. Finally, the vehicles that do the best have been street rodded so that they can stay up with traffic. For example, a Packard 160 with small block Chevy motor, automatic transmission, and air-conditioning.

There are some very experienced people floating around this forum. It's too bad we can't get together and come up with the next virtual reality based corporation that is sold for thirty eight billion dollars a'lahttp://www.babble.com.

The really frightening thing is that the companies that hire me cannot find anybody 30 years younger who can do what I do. There are grocery stores that cannot find people who can make simple change. Yet despite this, skilled people have never been treated more poorly.

Being of out work and intelligent isn't easy, but take stock. The biggest problem right now is that everybody is getting poorer.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 19:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
Dear Rich,

I am preparing for my retirenment I myself plan on having 3-4 Packards available for weddings, static picture sessions and the like. My first car is my 37 138CD Limo that is at a shop now. Later a Coupe and Conv. I have a friend I recently sold a complete drivetrain for his 1936 120B that he uses in his business as a vintage car chauffer. If you go to his web site whose address is on his bus card attached to this reply you will see he has several period cars. Also worth noting none have air conditioning installed (unless it had it as original) and none are powered by modern drivelines. He has had this business I think since 1975 and is quite successful with it. I got to know him thru the sale to him on one of my spare drivetrains. He does keep a spare rebuilt engine for each car if possible so he could replace one at maybe a days notice so he does not not fulfill a booking. His web site is well worth a look. Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (42.14 KB)
1153_4f2474dbe19ab.jpg 704X357 px

Posted on: 2012/1/28 17:23
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How often does he have to replace an engine???? Miles or time or both.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 17:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is also an issue with cell phone, camera chargers that are 12v.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 17:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I must agree with Craig on the movie/film business. I have several close friends in the business and they only have horror stories to tell about it. They would only consider renting if they were the only person to drive the car and if there were NO stunts to be performed.

One of them told me about a new Corvette that one of the studios used in the Los Angeles area. They had it for one night and drove it for less than 100 miles that night. When it was picked up by the owner, the car was so thrashed it should have been considered totaled.

Marty

Posted on: 2012/1/28 20:59
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved