Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 102

Bob J, JD in KC, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Are there production figures for 1955-1956 Packards with manual transmissions?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I'm curious about this, since almost every '55-'56 Packard I've ever seen/read about has an Ultramatic.

And on the subject of transmissions, why did some Packard clubs (or a Packard club) 'approve' swapping a Torqueflite for an Ultramatic? Were they THAT hard to have rebuilt or fixed at one time?

Posted on: 2008/4/3 12:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Are there production figures for 1955-1956 Packards with manual transmissions?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A reasonable guess mite be that who ever provides the T'Flite conversion probably has somekind of 'pull' in the club. OR, one mite also ask has the club approved any Olds oil pump conversions , disk brake conversions (Craig has one) or Bendix TV conversions (Erics).
Anyone care to add to the list??

Posted on: 2008/4/3 17:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Are there production figures for 1955-1956 Packards with manual transmissions?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hey guys, let's cut the pokes and jibes at the clubs which many of us on this forum belong to and get considerable enjoyment and benefit from, and try to answer the guy's question. No, there are no factory statistics that have ever surfaced to my knowledge about the number of Packards with standard vs automatic transmissions. Given the public's red-hot passion in that era to give up gear shifting, I'd say standard shift equipment was quite low, perhaps 10-20% at most, but that's a pure guess. In the V8 era you can tell from the Utica engine plant number if the engine was built with a standard shift flywheel or automatic flex plate by the letter prefix. For example a Utica plant# of A-XXXX (Clipper) would be equipped with a flex plate, a AA-XXXX with a standard shift flywheel. Ditto for the B and D series engines. There is no CC indicating that no Caribbean engines were built for standard shift.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 8:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dan Yocum has a complete Manual Transmission setup that came out of a '56 Caribbean. I wonder if that car was a special order, or was a dealer retrofit.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 10:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Someone wrote:
"Hey guys, let's cut the pokes and jibes at the clubs ... and answer the guy's question."

Go back and read the ORIGINAL QUESTION in the FIRST post of this thread. Here, i'll cut and paste it for u:

" ..why did some Packard clubs (or a Packard club) 'approve' swapping a Torqueflite for an Ultramatic..."

I gave a viable and rational answer. I did not single out any club in particular.

HAVE U GOT A BETTER ANSWER??? OR, is there something irrational about my answer????

Posted on: 2008/4/4 12:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The name Dan Yocum rings a bell, but I don't know why? Does his Utica engine number begin with CC? Did they tape off the pushbutton wiring as that was standard on the 56 Caribbean? It would be interesting to learn more about that auto. What color was the steering column? Was that tranny painted bronze as all the ultras were on senior 56 Packards? There was a white/light green/dark green 55 in Detroit a good while ago that supposedly came with a std trans. I would guess that they would build it for you but demand some cash up front??

Posted on: 2008/4/4 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As long as we are asking that question, let me ask this. What club "approved" the conversion and what publication of theirs (date and type of pub) is it printed in? I'm not a member of all Packard clubs, but never heard any approved mod like that.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 12:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC the Torque flite conversion was first done by Harold Gibson of the PI club in Southern California. Remember at the last PI meet that was held up the road from current location the test chassis with conversion was shown. I don't know if it was officially sponsored by the club like their oil pump fix however, but it was advertised in club publications.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Randy, I can't remember where/when I saw this particular '55-'56 Packard advertised for sale, but the ad for it specifically stated that the transmission had been swapped for a Torqueflite per approved practice of some Packard club. I don't recall if the ad even mentioned WHICH club 'approved'.

I remember wondering at the time why the owner just didn't rebuild the Ultramatic - or have it rebuilt for him.

Here is a link I found on Google; it refers to a '56 Golden Hawk but backs up what I posted...

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/newslpdf/56jon008.pdf

Posted on: 2008/4/4 13:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I sorry I don't understand where these occasional spasms of vitriol are coming from. The gentleman's original question was

Are there production figures for 1955-1956 Packards with manual transmissions?

I didn't see anyone answering that question so I did, sorry I didn't see that as something I shouldn't have done.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 14:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved