Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Packard caravan 1955, Valdosta Ga.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
This photo caught my eye.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/11628.jpg

Yes, the girls in the Caribbean is a good start!

What is on the top of the second one? A speaker?
It says the 25,000 mile car. Is that the car?

The Clipper is next, followed by a trailer with a show chassis. Would the Clipper have a trailer hitch on it?

Posted on: 2012/2/13 18:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard caravan 1955, Valdosta Ga.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Very nice accessories on the 55 Caribbean - must not have been on the 56 as I see no evidence of them. I thought the 25,000 mile car was devoid of some trim. Did they add it later to bring it in line with current production? Looks like a very nice lineup. Thanks for posting the picture.

Posted on: 2012/2/13 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Randy,

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/11627.jpg

Maybe they were 55 only accessories?

The Clipper is interesting that it has black tires, and no fender skirts.

Some where I remember seeing or hearing that the 25,000 mile car was sent out to the dealers for these events. Mabe that came with the show chassis?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I thought the 25,000 mile car was devoid of some trim. Did they add it later to bring it in line with current production?

Randy, looking at several factory photos taken during and after the 25,000 mile run, I don't see any trim missing though some of it might have been pre-production, can't tell in enough details from the photos. The most unusual thing that I noticed are the hood tie-down straps.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 11:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Comment I received from an anonymous but well-informed source concerning the 25,000 mile test car:

On the PackardInfo.com site, that photo of the 1955s in the parade, does NOT show the actual 25,000 Patrician. The real car did not have a radio (hence no antenna), the roof was painted a much darker shade, and the windshield was broken by a bird during the run. The test car also had only one windshield wiper. Since Packard sent the car out on a tour of the dealerships in "as-is" condition, I doubt if Packard later updated it to production specs and then sent it out again.

And again looking at photos after the run, it appears the test car did not have the stainless trim on the lower rear fender behind the wheel wells - sharp eyes there Mr. Berger.

PS - if the final fate of the 25,000 test bed car known?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Owen,

Thanks to you and anonymous for the reply. Are there any photos of the car with the broken windshield?

I searched this website, and did not find any. I do remember seeing a photo of someone, maybe Dick Teague, standing next to it, with all the dirt still on it, but the windshield was fixed. Maybe a Cormorat story or picture I am remembering.

It does say on the car front fender "the Packard", on the door "25000 mile car"' on the rear fender it is harder to read "?? Speed of 84 miles?"

Does anonymous say what happened to the car?

I also remember seeing some film/ now video of the actual event. I think it was on the History channel, called test tracks?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Well, gentlemen, I am so glad that my posting of the John Williams Motor Company, Valdosta parade pictures has brought so much commentary. I was lucky enough to know his widow, "Miss Natalie" and even took her to lunch once in my 1956 Packard Clipper DeLuxe. After lunch she brought me in and gave me several chrome dealer logos and key chains (1956!) that were brand new. The two dealer logos are happily on our 1956 Patrician and soon to be on our new 1955 400. Mr. Williams died of cancer in 1956 and the company was closed. Luckily he never had to see the bitter end of Packard from the standpoint of a South Bend assembly line.

Miss Natalie was a very civic minded woman and, among other things, helped found the Lowndes County Historical Society. This organization graciously made scanned copies of these photographs available to post.

Many years ago I was traveling to Florida when another of my Packard Patricians threw a rod near Lake City, Florida. I had to be at an important job in Winter Park so I called the Lincoln dealer and asked if there was an 89 Town Car on their lot. Yes there was and they would come pick me up on I-75 and bring me in to town. The car was nice and reasonable and I transferred all my samples and luggage and made a deal. While the salesman was preparing the paper work he mentioned that he had a picture of a Packard convertible taken many years ago in Lake City with his wife on the back seat with two other lovelies. Indeed, he found the photo and it was this same touring 1955 Caribbean convertible. This was probably its next stop--Lake City Motors--as it made its way on down the pennisula. When I have time, I will post this picture as well!

Posted on: 2012/2/14 13:42
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Esquireman thanks for sharing the photos. I would like to see the additional one you have as well.

Randy & Owen,

The brochure found on this site, "Packard presents two great lines of cars for 1955", show pre-production photos of Patricians on page 6 and 18.

When was the decision made to add the rest of the trim?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 14:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Gotta love that the one recognizable business is a Pawn Shop/Salvage operation.

Did the photographer know something?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 15:00
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Found on the Internet;

http://www.packardsoforegon.com/newsletter/Clipper%20NovDec%2006%20standard%202.pdf

See page 13 & 14.

I searched this site figuring that this car had been discussed before, I missed this, but found it when googling;

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6829&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2012/2/14 15:03
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved