Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Jack Palance Prestone antifreeze Packard tv commercial
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Okay, sportsfans, thanks to a gentleman on the CCCA Forum, i have this 30-second Prestone antifreeze tv commercial from late 1976. I asked if anyone on this Packard site could find it, but it took a Jordan owner in the CCCA to come through. Have at it:

http://www.vixbase.com/v/218135

So, 1946 or '47 Super or Custom Super? No conjecture, please.

Anyone meet Palance, see the car, talk Packards with him?

Posted on: 2012/2/19 22:18
 Top  Print 

Re: Jack Palance Prestone antifreeze Packard tv commercial
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Very cool!

Posted on: 2012/2/19 23:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Custom Super. I believe you'd have to have access to the VN or Briggs# to know if 46 or 47.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 23:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I remember watching the ad on tv. Wow, where did the time go.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 8:37
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I dont remember it, I was only 3 when that commercial aired The first thing I ever remember seeing Jack Palance on was Ripliey's Believe it or Not.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 10:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Great! And to boot, Jack Palance was a personal favorite.
Thanks Kevin.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 12:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Oil Slickers: The Search for Curly's Packard

Great find. Palance had a face for villains, put the heart of a true Packard owner.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 12:55
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
Great ad and thanks for hunting it down. I also remember seeing it on television when my brother and I were watching every possible sports event on "before cable" television. My father used to give us the same advice I give to my twelve and ten year old now - go out and play instead of watching somebody else play!

Posted on: 2012/2/20 15:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Amen. Your pappy gave y'all good advice. Got the same from my parents. Didn't hurt us in the least. We built bizarre wooden gocarts, raced them downhill with no adult supervision, never got hurt, and you never saw obese kids when we were growing up.

Regarding OwenDynamo's observation that you have to check the VIN #, that's right, would tell you whether '46 or '47. A glance at the interior would determine whether Super or Custom Super, since Packard ads and the owner's manual considered them the same car. Some of the 21st Series ads are downright ambiguous regarding Super or Custom Super. Some ad copy reads Super but pictures a Custom Super with its standard fender skirts (optional on Super) and absence of model script on the body.
I've owned my '47 2103 since ten years after this commercial appeared.

Which is why i asked if anyone met Palance, saw his car, perhaps talked Packard with him. He had some nice cars, drove them, but avoided the concours silliness. Like Artie Shaw, Tony Bennett and others, Palance painted later on, knew John Lennon, Yoko Ono, briefly appeared in one of their movies, circa 1969-70. If he ever rebuilt his transmission or differential, or reinstalled them himself, we know how he kept in shape to do those one-arm push ups at the Oscars.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 17:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Jack Palance...my my...I remember him the most from playing the role of the gunslinger in the movie "Shane". Where DID time go indeed?...I remember that commercial very well. I was 24 in 1976 and elbows deep into restoring vintage iron but the thought of owning a Packard never crossed my mind until 35 years later. Thanks for sharing that memory...I think gas was pocket change at around .56 cents a gallon when that commercial was made. this time next year I'll probabably be having to make payments on a gallon...

Posted on: 2012/2/24 19:54
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved