Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Don B, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Water Pump Rebuild '53 327
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Just found the site and signed up, great to see something like this for Packards!
My water pump is making a little bit of noise, and the fan wobbles a little, and the last time I had the car out, it was showing a tick hot on the temp gauge.
I'd like to either replace or rebuild my water pump.
I see there are water pump rebuild kits available. Has anybody rebuilt a pump? It would certainly save me some shipping of cores to Germany and back.
Any special tools or procedures needed for a water pump rebuild?
Thanks!
Mike

Posted on: 2008/4/11 13:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Water Pump Rebuild '53 327
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rebuild kits have pretty much dried up some years ago, to the extent that the production rebuilders have their own parts made. I've had excellent experiences over the years with Art Gould, now d/b/a Gould Rebuilders. They're a regular advertiser in most hobby publications and are somewhere in New York State as I remember. Probably cost about $85 or so and a better job than you could do yourself.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 14:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mike,

to the Site. You're probably our first member based in Germany and I see you've already added your Packard to the Owner Registry. Nice looking car!

Posted on: 2008/4/11 16:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Keep checking ebay, sometime there area newly rebuilt pumps on there for around $135 without any core charge or exchange.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 20:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mike, I also suggest you contact Feltz Terrill (Terrill Machine, Inc., De Leon, Texas, 254.893.2610, feltz76444@sbcglobal.net). He remanufactures water and fuel pumps and provides them to other vendors. His work is first class. John

Posted on: 2008/4/12 9:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Patrician Industries (Packards1 on this forum) offers rebuilt pumps on a core-exchange basis. You can contact him at packards1@aol.com

Posted on: 2008/4/12 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
You can do the job yourself if you have or can find a rebuild kit. However you must also have a press to do the job, or at least a vice that opens wide enough to get the pump into. Most old rebuild kits have deteriorated to the point that they are unusable anyway.

Several vendors already listed provide excellent service.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 23:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure about the 51-54 water pump, but for the 48-50 pumps Kanters sells newly manufactured pumps without the need for a core exchange, so although slightly more expensive up front than buying a rebuilt you'd have no return freight.

Posted on: 2008/4/13 8:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I saw Kanter also has water pump "repair kits" for 60 dollars. I figured that was all a rebuild shop would do, besides boiling and media blasting my old water pump.

I envy you guys with your garages. I keep my car in a common underground garage in the city, and when I work on it, I have to go to a "Hobby garage" where I can rent a lift and workspace by the hour. They have vices and hydraulic presses which is nice though.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 13:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
one false move with the alignment of the shaft into the impeller or the shaft into the bearing and your $60 is gone. I don't mind paying someone a reasonable fee for something they have done a lot.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 13:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved