Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Positive vs. Negative Ground
Just popping in
Just popping in

TBrandon
See User information
I recently purchased a 1951 200 from a nearby used car dealership. The car ran, albeit poorly, and I've only now started working on it. The car only had one owner prior to the dealer, and the dealer purchased the car from an estate sale. The dealer said that he had just put in a new 6 VDC battery in the car the day before.

Today, I noticed that battery was installed with a negative ground. It's still a 6 volt system, and it appears that all electrical components are original.

My question is how could the car have been running? It appeared that the coil was wired up for a conventional positive ground, although I had removed the coil and distributor prior to seeing if they were wired correctly. Also, the fuel and temp gauges and lights all also seemed to be functioning.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 13:28
T L Brandon
Newport, Virginia
 Top  Print   

Re: Positive vs. Negative Ground
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless something has been modified to use a solid state replacement component, nothing in the car is polarity sensitive except the radio and even that depends more on internal polarity after the vibrator, transformer and rectifier tubes so depending on how those are isolated, it may even work.

The spark will be a little less efficient with the coil backward and the generator only needs a quick polarizing to work properly and time would probably take care of that. If you had an ammeter, that would have read backwards but still worked. Gauges are all bimetallic, so just rely on a coil heating up.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
My '50 came with a new battery that was installed with a negative ground. The car ran but the Amp gauge read backwards (showed discharge when in fact it was charging) and the radio just buzzed. I reversed the battery, repolarized the generator and now the radio plays as it should and the amp gauge is reading correctly.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 17:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless you're planning on adding non-authentic electrical accessories that require negative ground, there really is no advantage to having it; if that's the case I'd return it to the correct positive ground.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 17:47
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

TBrandon
See User information
I restored it to a positive ground, and the difference was pretty remarkable. It runs infinitely better than it did before.

Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2008/4/12 18:50
T L Brandon
Newport, Virginia
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The improvement no doubt due to the fact that when the battery was put in backwards, the coil polarity wasn't changed to correspond.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 20:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved