Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

ECAnthony, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1956 Twin Traction Differential
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The rear end in my rust bucket 56 400 is open style (not TT).

Craig

Posted on: 2012/4/12 15:29
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You're better off if someone wants it, the TT wasn't all that robust as the conventional carrier.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
My, 400 is a rust bucket too..................was thinking of cutting off top...removable or convert..top..

the rear end, i need to pull it to replace worn pinion, so at that time, will decide, also the price of carrier,,if its too much, i will leave it..

Posted on: 2012/4/12 16:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

bhappy wrote:
Again, how can I test mine, on my Packard, to see if it's working?

Easiest way to tell if it is TT and if it is working is to find a patch of dirt road and punch it from a stand still to spin the tires. Go back and see if you have two "spin" tracks or one.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Packard8 wrote:
[quote]
Easiest way to tell if it is TT and if it is working is to find a patch of dirt road and punch it from a stand still to spin the tires. Go back and see if you have two "spin" tracks or one.

Thanks, sometimes I get so tied-up with the technical aspects of an issue that the obvious eludes me. I'll attempt the 'punch-it' test as soon as I can and report back.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 19:28
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the frictional load on both back wheel is the same, the driving test described above may not differentiate between TT and conventional. You need a driving situation where the load on each rear tire is different; for example one on pavement and one on dirt. If the wheel on dirt spins, you have a conventional carrier, if the wheel on pavement provides the traction, you have a TT.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 20:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Guys, further to the recent discussion here regarding Twin Traction diffs, I thought that seeing I had the one removed from my 56 at the moment to put in for rebuild that a few photo's posted may be of interest. You will see both the 'T' and the 'ratio' tags mentioned (in this case 46/13 or 3.53-1) are both still in place. The photo with the rear cover removed shows that the assembly inside looks somewhat different to the one shown in the manual so maybe this could be used to assist identification.

Warren

Attach file:

jpg  (44.87 KB)
940_502ca6fd5ed1e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.20 KB)
940_502ca729f0488.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.21 KB)
940_502ca877e08c3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (124.83 KB)
940_502ca8bdc140d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/8/16 3:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Nice detail shots. I can see why many of those tags might have been forgotten over the course of routine maintenance.

Neither the shop manual nor parts book shows the Twin Traction (aka - Power Lock) rear axle. However, your diff. case matches the illustrations provided in SC Vol. 30, No. 4 (p. 13).

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Thought I would tag onto an old post with a couple of relevant questions.
Did the '56 Clipper use a Dana 44 while the senior car got something else? Was it a Dana as well or something else.
Can a '56 assembly be swapped into a '55 without much "taffy pulling"?
The easiest way to tell a Power Loc (or TT)is to poke your index finger in the fill hole. If it only goes to the first knuckle, it's a Power Loc. Most people figure things out while accelerating around a corner in the rain, it's pretty easy to tell if you have a mono drive (peg leg,one wheel wonder)

Posted on: 2013/10/25 22:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Place the car in neutral with the hand brake off.
Then jack up the rear end under the carrier so that both rear wheels are off the ground. Then turn one wheel by hand and if the other wheel turns the same way you have TT.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 23:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved