Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55-56 batwing air cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2012/4/15 22:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 batwing air cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
They are ofset.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.56 KB)
6_4f8c11423f720.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/4/16 7:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the price he's asking for just the pods, hate to see what he'd want for the wing or the whole thing. Am starting to think my car is worth more in pieces. Maybe it's time for a big dog or a mean cat to move into the garage.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 9:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How much more NOS pods are worth over used ones is a good question, assuming you can find used ones. Since they have no moving parts to wear, unless they've been damaged or abused, used ones usually just require cleaning and painting.

The going price 15 years ago for a complete batwing assembly, used and needing perhaps a few dents removed from the center section and cleaning & paint, was about $1200 and I've since seen them at Hershey, painted and with new decals for $1700 or more.

If it weren't for the fact that so many owners of non-Caribbeans want the 2x4 setup, they'd be a glut on the market. Supply & demand, that's all there is to it.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
HH & Owen,

And it's only the filter, not the pan it sits in, the way I read the ad!

Was ther any other filter pods that would work with the batwing top?

Joel,
Was the offset design a running change? I will look at the ones I have on a 55, I do not remember them being this way.

Page 102, and it's not an air cleaner, rather an air distribution chamber assembly!

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist5556/09_Fuel.pdf

Posted on: 2012/4/16 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though only a single part number is given, I've heard somewhere over the years that the 55s, or perhaps early 55s, used fixed concentric pods and that some clearance issues arose, thus the change to eccentric pods. I do know of one 55 Carib that does not have the eccentric pods though I don't know that the assembly is Packard-original. Never seen anything in writing so it remains unsubstantiated, at least as I understand it.

Another curious item is the emblem, #476001, listed for 1955 Caribs only. I believe the ring was gold, the "V" was silver (chrome-colored) and the shield was silver and red. If someone repro'd it I'd perhaps put one on my 56 Carib, even though it's not authentic. Yes, I know what I just said!

Attach file:

jpg  (62.45 KB)
177_4f8c5601a1243.jpg 1050X661 px

Posted on: 2012/4/16 12:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The picture I posted are of my 1956 pods (and my shoe) and I have never seen any different ones, 1955 or 1956.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
It is true there really is a Big Foot.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 14:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:...Another curious item is the emblem, #476001, listed for 1955 Caribs only. I believe the ring was gold, the "V" was silver (chrome-colored) and the shield was silver and red. If someone repro'd it I'd perhaps put one on my 56 Carib, even though it's not authentic. Yes, I know what I just said!
Dave,
Twice in a couple of days! This now isn't just an aberration, more like a trend. What next, SBC?

Posted on: 2012/4/16 16:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Page 102, and it's not an air cleaner, rather an air distribution chamber assembly!

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html ... partslist5556/09_Fuel.pdf

The "air distribution chamber assembly" listed in Gr. 9.1038, P/N 440991 (note 1 per car), is the "wing" - an air plenum. Note the related hardware (2 per car); that's one set for each carb.

The "emblem" listed in Gr. 9.1039, P/N 467001, is applied to that chamber - though I thought it was merely a decal, and monochromatic at that.

What is commonly referred to as the "pod" is listed in Gr. 9.102 as an "air cleaner assembly", P/N 440992 (note 2 per car). Note the related hardware (2 per car); that's one set for each "pod".

Also, the air cleaner/pod is the same P/N for both years, If there was a running change in design (i.e. - offset) for this one part for the 55-56 Caribbeans, then I'd expect some notation on the Packard engineering drawing.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 17:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved