Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

53 Cavalier, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Proving Grounds 80th Birthday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The proving grounds had an 80th birthday open house today. It was extremely well attended. Attached are a couple of photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.56 KB)
6_4815236207605.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (58.82 KB)
6_481524044ad1a.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/27 20:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Proving Grounds 80th Birthday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Here are a couple more photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.33 KB)
6_48153af9d6746.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (62.76 KB)
6_48153b6a9fac8.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (50.22 KB)
6_48153cde0da79.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/27 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm sure that all the people who visit and exchange experiences and information on this site hold their Packards and the company that produced them in high regard. I hope they all manage at one point or another to contribute to the efforts being made at the Proving Grounds, it's a monumental effort for such a small group, and so worthwhile.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The effort is starting to pay off. The beautiful trees that were planted are looking good this year and some of the garage doors have been installed. A lot of cleanup has occured and many volenteers work out there in their spare time. A huge crowd from the public showed up to visit the site yesterday. Motor City Packards members gave rides in their Packards around the site and people waited in a long line to get the opportunity for a ride.

Attach file:

jpg  (60.12 KB)
6_4815ca947518c.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/28 8:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have the obligations been met? I seem to recall that there had to be X amount raised in X amount of time or it would not be transferred or something to that effect.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I really don't know. I have no affilation with the project other than a donation every now and then.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
In 1915 had the Packard Board of Directors listened to Henry Joy, Packard would have been the first to have a test track in Detroit.

Henry Joy had purchased land in the Detroit area on which he wanted to build a test track. Also this land would have been used to build aircraft engines. The board turned down Joy on this matter. Joy later sold the land which became Selfridge Air Base, which is the only operational military base in Michigan.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/4/29 19:56
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Packards1 knows a thing or two about Selfridge ANC air base.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I worked at Selfridge for 36 years until my retirement 2 years ago. Selfridge has NOT been an AFB since 1971. It has been an Air National Guard (ANG)Base since that time. There is a huge difference in manning, funding and cost to the taxpayers. The ANG operates the base about 70 percent cheaper than the AF. Selfridge is not in Detroit but 20 miles north of Detroit. All those years of driving through Detroit to go 20 more miles to get to work. Selfridge had an air show last year and had the history of the base on display for the attendees. They honored Mr. Joy and the Packard connection. I arranged for a Packard to be on display on the base.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 22:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Sorry P-1, I should have written ANG, it was late!

Posted on: 2008/4/30 8:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved