Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Pckrd320, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

The History of Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Over an extended period of time I intend to give an account of the history of Packard. Being as I like automotive history as I do, I thought maybe this might be a nice addition to the site. I welcome other persons contributions to this thread.

August 13 1898 J.W. Packard buys a Winton in Cleveland Ohio. He drive the 50 miles back to Warren. He experiences many breakdowns, constant overheating, and major component failures. J.W. has to enter Warren finishing the trip by looking at the south end of a horse that is towing his newly purchased Winton.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/1 21:12
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: The history of Packard
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
John,

If you can list the month and year for each event then once you are done with all the history, then I can build a graphical time line from it.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 23:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Actually, that horse's "end" was facing north.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 7:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
So, I guess we should rephrase that to "...looking at the north end of a southbound horse that is towing..."

Seriously, I like Kev's idea of taking each of John's installments and building a timeline as a new site feature, complete with graphics, but we should run things through a spell-checker to give it the polish that such a feature deserves.

Meanwhile, we can use this thread to apply constructive criticism toward that same end.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
1899 James and William Packard along with George Weiss invest $9000 to form a company for the production of automobiles.

This event took place on June 29, 1899.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/2 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
April 11 1899

George Weiss who is a mechanic for Winton who tried to fix the problems of the Winton that James Packard had purchased.

On this date George Weiss receives a letter from James Ward Packard stating that they should found an automobile company to build autos.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/4 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
July 1899

William Hatcher and A.C. Nelson are hired to help with the designing of the first Packard. Hatcher during this time period submits the first complete drawings for the new proposed Packard.

A.C. Nelson is hired as draftsman's and came from Berea Ohio.
Other people helping on the design of the first Packard include Russell Huff, Edward P. Cowles, and Harry Schryer.

John f. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/7 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
November 1899

The first Packard built is test driven through the streets of Warren. With local newspapers in Warren reporting this most historic event. The publication Horseless Age publishes a report on the newly built Packard

Also a new machine shop at the Packard factory in Warren is completed.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/17 19:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
1896: James and William Packard though about building their own vehicle. They went as far as having detailed blueprints drawn up. The brothers also purchased a gasoline engine from Charles King of Detroit.

Mr. King at that period of time was building small gasoline engine suitable for use in experimental horseless automobiles.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:15
 Top  Print   

Re: The History of Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Also remember, till the move to Detroit these vehicles were built under the name of the Ohio Automobile Company

Thought i'd throw that one in

Posted on: 2008/8/24 1:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved