Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 127

DAYCOREP, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Caribbean Convertible mistery missing part
Just popping in
Just popping in

S. Murphy
See User information
Hi all,

trying to help someone out.
On the upper center firewall of this car is a void in between two brackets. There are two fluid lines coming into this part, red fluid dripping from the brass fittings. We assume it is trans fluid. There is what we think is an uninsulated ground strap loose in the vicinity. The two fluid lines go through separate holes in the firewall to the driver's side underdash. At least one of these lines ends up in part that looks like a solenoid valve, with electrical wires connected, right under the cluster and behind the dash.
I'm at a loss as to what might be missing. The car has unfortunately been interfered with and we are trying to decide what to do.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

S. Murphy

Posted on: 2007/3/1 19:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Caribbean Convertible mistery missing part
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
S. Murphy -

My specialty is the V8 models, but I believe the power windows on earlier Series were hydraulically-operated and that a single pump, mounted on the firewall, powered both the side window and the convertible top mechanisms.

If you go to the Home page and do a search on:

1954 service manual

...you will find the complete 1951-1954 Packard manual available for downloading, which should be of some help in identifying your missing part.

Check back periodically as I have a feeling you will see parts manuals here in the not-too-distant future.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2007/3/1 19:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
sounds like the hydro-electric pump (that powers the convertible top)should be there by your description. Look around in all of your parts boxes for something that looks like a starter motor (or generator) housing with a domed cap mounted on one end, held on by a bail-clip. It will also have anti-vibration rubber stud-mounts. I'm reasonably sure this is what goes there, again, I'm a V-8 idiot savant, but have spent time around the 51-54 models.

Posted on: 2007/3/2 7:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

S. Murphy
See User information
Thanks to both Button and Regular.

The thought had crossed my mind, what with the ATF dripping out and all, but it's an odd location for a convertible top pump, so I dismissed it.

Thanks again for the prompt response, it's good to see that there's activity at the site.

Stephen Murphy

Posted on: 2007/3/2 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Stephen: I have the anser for your question, but I am having trouble posting part of the information that I have.

I emailed Big Kevin the information and he should be posting in the near furture. The missing part is part of the hydrolic operating assembly for the top.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/3/2 21:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is the piece that John sent me. It shows the hydraulic layout common to the 51-54 cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.62 KB)
1_45e8fb094c20c.jpg 800X619 px

Posted on: 2007/3/2 23:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Stephen: I think the part you are missing is a vavle assemby whcih is shown in the picture under the group number 31.104.

Packard simply listed it as a valve assembly. Packard part number 420158.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/3/3 7:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved