Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 50 288 Engine gray colour
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day krieg195,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your '49 Custom 8 Convertible and '50 Super Deluxe Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 17:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Re: 50 288 Engine colour
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

africapackard wrote:
...Should a 23rd series have a packard grey or a packard green engine?...

All three of the 356 engines I have were originally gray from the factory (two 48's one 49). I would bet that by the 23rd series any green 356's left over from the Super Clippers were used up. I didn't think there was ever any question with the 288 and 327. Go with the gray color or grey colour.

EGAD! I just realized I'm responding to a post that's 8 years old.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 11:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
EGAD! I just realized I'm responding to a post that's 8 years old.
\

Does get confusing at times doesn't it. Thread was revived when a question was asked of Big Kev re a paint number or catalog number for his few year old purchase vs new purchase gray paint. Apparently Hirsch changed numbers or suppliers a few years back and the feeling is his two gray colors are different.

I hadn't noticed a problem if the entire engine is painted since the Packard color gray seems to have quite a few shades and interpretations. Hirsch, Kanter, Massey Ferguson, and one or two other modern shades mentioned as a match etc etc. If the poster is trying to only paint part of an engine I guess any difference would stand out and worth a search to find the correct shade.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 11:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
I have Hirsch gray engine enamel from different time periods and they are different. Later one is considerably darker than the earlier.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 21:56
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

krieg195
See User information
Thanks for all replies... I was able to acquire a can of White gloss from National Paint in N. Brunswick, N.J. #8901 Alkyd White. I took the new color from Bill Hirsch working on a 4 parts White to one part Hirsch 5670-7130 gray and then adding 1.5 to 2 parts of the 5670-5190/C6247B Packard Green..

This is a very close match to my existing color on the '49- 356 and '50-327 motors.. The green is what brings the color home. Heading to the garage for a little therapy.. Krieg 195

Posted on: 2016/5/28 9:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I just went to the Eastwood site. It seems the cast blast paint is now gray instead of the cast iron look it used to have:

★★★★★
★★ 2 out of 5 stars.
kilroy45
? 3 months ago
Not the Cast Iron Color it used to be...
The paint with the same UPC used to state that it was "Cast Iron Color" which was accurate. This paint, with the same UPC but different label, is simply gray. Can't comment on the Hi Temp quality of the new one - haven't tested that.

Now where do I go???

Posted on: 2016/6/13 5:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check out some of the POR 15 offerings. They have a detail spray paint which is claimed to mimic the look of cast iron and they also have a high temp manifold gray which claims the same.

Posted on: 2016/6/13 8:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Awhile back I had looked at many different cast blast finishes and addressed my find. I will look back on my previous posts and see if it will help you. I found that that particular color had to be painted under very bright lights to see where the color actually was over a blasted manifold. The first time I definitely missed a few spots.

Here is the info I submitted a long time ago. It took awhile to locate it from my blog. I haven't posted in a long time.

The manifold was painted using a high temp 1200 cast blast finish purchased from Brandon Enterprises,P.O. Box 511, Trevose, Pa. 19053-0511. The paint number is 16-2688. It shows a manufacture called Seymour of Sycamore, 917 Crosby Ave. Sycamore, IL. 1-800-435-4886. They have a web page www.seymourpaint.com . found this paint to be so close to a blast finish you need to be cautious as to not miss any spots.

Hope this helps

Fred D

Posted on: 2016/6/13 9:10
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved