Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

50 288 Engine colour
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Want to paint my engine at a later stage with some engine enamel. Should a 23rd series have a packard grey or a packard green engine? According to the bill hirsch site 2 colours were available. I have a high heat paint in green but it seems a bit TOO green? Also would you guys recommend aerosols or brushing it on?

Attach file:

jpg  (41.55 KB)
484_481ee41f4239f.jpg 800X601 px

Posted on: 2008/5/5 5:40
 Top  Print 

Re: 50 288 Engine colour
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That colour looks a little too green, the Packard colour is I think a little more gray-green. I prefer to spray the paint on, but you can get away with a brush on cast iron, it just looks bad on stamped sheet metal, where the brush marks are easy to spot.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 7:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I agree with Mr.Pushbutton that the green of the paint you bought is not correct but pictures can be deceiving. Bill Hirsh sells paint that is the correct colour but it is pricey when shipping charges are included. I painted my engine with Bill's paint using a brush but I found that it set up very fast and had to be applied quite quickly and was a PITA to get a smooth finish , especially the cylinder head,so I took the paint to a local paint shop and had them make up two "rattle" cans using the Hirsch paint and that seemed to work better. I also think that some '50 engines were painted grey so perhaps you could find a paint that would be a closer match in that colour. I also don't think that high temperature paint is necessary on engines except exhaust manifolds and as long as the metal is properly cleaned good quality paint will not peel or discolour.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 7:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "brush-on" engine enamels do indeed dry very fast and don't give a great appearance even on rough cast iron. You'll be much happier with the results if you thin them and add a bit of retarder to slow the drying. Even then, its not possible to get the kind of finish on stamped steel parts that we all want.

There has been a lot of controversy about the 48-50 engine colors, and you'll find LONG threads about it on the PAC website. Originally the judging standard was for gray as the 51-54 engines (except the 359) were, but a number of 48-50 engines, almost always the 356 engine, were observed in green that were without dispute original and not repainted and thus it appears that both colors were used, though I don't think anyone has ever sorted out just why some were gray and some green. PAC may have revised their statements about this, check their website for the latest.

Exhaust manifolds are best done with Eastwoods high temperature stainless steel paint which when dry gives the appearance of virgin cast iron as these were originally. I believe (not certain) that the intake manifolds were black and don't require a high temperature paint.

BTW, looks like your valve covers have been reversed, the one with the provision for the road draft tube should be the rear cover, not the front.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 8:45
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is what the Packard Gray looks like on my 54 (327). Also the manifolds are painted with Eastwood "Cast Blast" Manifold paint.

The PI Judging guide calls out that both manifolds are natural cast (unpainted), but black (stove paint) is acceptable on the intake.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.48 KB)
1_4820c509b10e4.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/5/6 15:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a couple more notes. The engine paint was applied with a brush as it was still in the car, and I thinned the paint a little bit before brushing. The manifolds were sprayed as they were removed from the engine, so I could spray it from all sides.

On the sheet metal parts (valve covers, timing cover, etc) I sprayed those with primer first. That is not required on the cast parts (block, head, etc).

Everything (block, head, manifolds, covers, etc) was stripped clean of rust, grease, and old paint before any of this was done. See my project blog for more details.

Posted on: 2008/5/6 16:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
From what I have observed from original cars, the new engines, the 327 and possibly the 288 were gray when they were introduced after the war. Te 327 in my convertible is gray and I am the second owner. The 356s were still Packard green as far as I can tell.

Posted on: 2008/5/6 20:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks everyone. I will probably go with the gray as that will be available in high heat application here locally.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 7:16
 Top  Print 

Re: 50 288 Engine gray colour
Just popping in
Just popping in

krieg195
See User information
Big Kev...Your 54 looks like the paint on my engines.. Do you have the paint numbers off the paint can from Hirsch... I have a 49 Custom 8 Conv. 356 and a 50 Super Delux Fast Back 2 door 327 and both have the color of your engine. According to Hirsch there was a color change 6-8 years ago... The New color Packard gray 48-54 [5670-7130] is much much darker than the Med Gray. My old can is listed as Med Gray High Gloss.
I am getting ready to paint the head on the 356 and looking for paint. My old can numbers are not very readable. p7642 and dpy 6420069 ???? If I am lucky enough someone might have want to get rid of the left over...

Posted on: 2016/5/26 11:37
 Top  Print 

Re: 50 288 Engine gray colour
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you can find it-Krylon Hosta Leaf is close to the green if that is what you want. Grey is probably the correct color for your car.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 16:52
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved