Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
27 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 27

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Portlandon's 1955 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I stripped and painted the valve covers. I am wondering how to go about painting the raised "Packard" script on them.

Has anyone done tackled this themselves? If you have, any ideas?

Attach file:

jpg  (90.15 KB)
633_530f8610f394a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/27 13:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have not tried it but since the printing is raised, I wonder if a rubber printing roller could be "inked" and then carefully rolled over the lettering. If the rubber roller is the right texture and paint rolled, I would think the paint would transfer yet roller would be hard enough not to drop down and get paint below the surface of letter. Not sure a regular paint roller would be hard enough but maybe. If you have a decent art supply or paint store nearby they might have a roller you could check out and see if either is a possibility.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 14:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
HH,

That is a pretty slick idea. I'll stop by staples or office depot on the way home and see if they have one. Of course, it will probably be the only time I ever use it.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
We used brayers that had a metal frame, wood handle, and a 4- to 6-inch wide, smooth-faced, rubber roller in HS art class for block printing. You should be able to find brayers like that in a couple of different widths at most mass-market arts-n-crafts stores.

I've long wondered about using a brayer (though perhaps with a narrower roller) for the valve cover lettering, but have never tried it. I suspect that print-making process would lend itself to paint as well ink - that is, roll the paint out on a sheet of glass with the brayer and then apply the roller to the raised letters.

As for what paint to use, I've seen raised letters on valve covers done, by hand, with One-Shot sign painter's (and pinstriping) enamel - with mixed results. However, I'm not sure if there's a stock color that will match every need, and I've no experience in custom mixing colors with that product.

Dunno how the ivory engine enamel would work.

One problem I can envision with using a brayer is that after the roller completes one full rotation against the cover, you'll have to go back to the glass and pick up more paint.

Look forward to seeing your results.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 16:35
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved