Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Beltline Moulding Emblem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I just spent my grandchildrens inheritance for the two reproduction Packard emblems that attach to the beltline moulding just behind the front doors of the '53 and '54 Clipper Deluxe models. Checking the parts manual, it appears that the original emblems attach to the moulding with two 8-32 nuts per emblem. The new emblems do not come with mounting studs therefore my guess is that they will need to be attached with emblem glue. Anyone else replaced these emblems using a different method?

Attach file:

jpg  (15.00 KB)
4000_525dd2cb6f38c.jpg 222X268 px

Posted on: 2013/10/15 18:44
 Top  Print 

Re: Beltline Moulding Emblem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe I'm thinking of a different emblem but I thought those on the side fit into a cutout or recess in the chrome and that was the retainer. The chrome piece was held on with the nuts but the emblem is held in position in the chrome by the cutout and a rubber pad behind pressing against the body and keeping the emblem firmly in place.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 19:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That is my opinion also. What does Kev have??

Posted on: 2013/10/15 19:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The emblems are correct they way you got them. They are held on by the chrome that acts as the retainer.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 19:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
The new emblems do not come with mounting studs therefore my guess is that they will need to be attached with emblem glue.

Whoa!!! If you try gluing anything to those plastic emblems, you'll likely end up ruining them.

Those are the very same emblems that Packard used on the 56 Seniors - on the side of the roof, just behind the rear quarter window (C-pillar). On those models, the plastic emblems are merely sandwiched between a brushed stainless trim (as a mask) and the body, but backed up by a (rubber?) pad. IIRC, the emblem/pad was also held to the back of the stainless trim (likely for the benefit of assembly) by a piece of wide tape - over the pad, but NOT touching the plastic.

I see that the 48-54 parts book shows a similar pad for the emblem (Gr, 30.7954), but I can't explain the need for the two 8-32 nuts.

If you haven't found the answer from careful disassembly and inspection of your own vehicle, let's wait and hear from other owners of similarly-equipped models.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 21:44
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ummmm..... Clippers don't have those side emblems in 53/54. Look at any of the pics in the photo archives and you will see what I mean. Only a grille and trunk emblem.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 22:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you thinking of the two holes on the b-pillar? If so, it just a small chrome plated piece diecast that matches the door or beltline trim, and completes the line of the trim down the side of the car. No emblem. Look at the pics of my car for the details.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 23:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Ummmm..... Clippers don't have those side emblems in 53/54. Look at any of the pics in the photo archives and you will see what I mean. Only a grille and trunk emblem.

Partly correct - Emblems were not used for 1954 but were used for the Clipper Deluxe, Mayfair, Convertible and Caribbean models in 1953 as well as on the previously mentioned C pillar trim for Packard models in 1956.

Part number 441654

Posted on: 2013/10/16 0:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On the 53 Clippers the emblem is held into the molding by a a short metal bar on the backside. That bar is retained to studs soldered to the molding by two nuts. There is a small rubber pad between the back of the emblem and the bar.

Needless to say the entire molding has to come off to change the emblems.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 5:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Maybe I'm thinking of a different emblem but I thought those on the side fit into a cutout or recess in the chrome and that was the retainer. The chrome piece was held on with the nuts but the emblem is held in position in the chrome by the cutout and a rubber pad behind pressing against the body and keeping the emblem firmly in place.

Howard, based on yours and Ross's description, I can see how the emblems are held in place now. I didn't look at the new emblems close enough to notice the retaining shoulder that's molded into them. The shape of the stainless moulding is cut so precisely that I can't even catch a fingernail on the mating edge. In addition, the emblem is listed in the parts manual under section 30.79252 and shows the emblem as part# 441654 and a quantity of 2 required. Under the emblem listing, there is also a G271472 which is a #8-32 nut and a quantity of 4 required. Listed this way, I think its pretty easy for someone to assume that the 4 nuts are used to hold the emblems in place. Thanks for the clarification.

Rest easy there BH, the glue will continue to hang on the hook...I didn't delay my retirement to make payments on two emblems for the entertainment...

Posted on: 2013/10/16 8:37
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved