Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 86

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 Patrician brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Having never done a full brake job on one of these car (55 Patrician)--what should I expect as far as a total cost and time? I think I could it myself as I do our everyday driver vehicles brakes. Is it something I should have done or fairly easy DIY?

Posted on: 2013/10/25 8:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Patrician brakes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Depends on what you mean by a "full brake job", as well as your level of competence with drum brakes. Do you have a rear hub puller? Are you able to reline shoes?

As for cost, check prices with your favorite Packard parts vendor.

As for time, take a look at the 1955-1956 Flat Rate Manual - one of several that I loaned to BigKev to scan, exclusively, for this site's archive. Keep in mind that those labor times were arrived at by the factory with the notion that the problem was fully diagnosed and all tools and parts needed to perform the job were right at hand for use by a fully-trained mechanic (with the additional goal of "controlling" the expense of dealer reimbusment).

Posted on: 2013/10/25 10:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Assuming you have all the parts and tools, a complete brake job could be done in an afternoon.

But, if you are going service the rear drums, plan also on repacking the rear axle bearings, as that is the most convenient time to do it. Add a couple of extra hours for that since the backing plates have to be pulled removed for that.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 11:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Add to your time and expense replacing steel brake lines if they are still the originals. Probably a good time to replace brake hoses and wheel cylinders too. A good brake and clutch shop should be able to reline your shoes if you don't want to get a relined set from K's or MM's. Do all that is necessary as long as you are there, then enjoy your Packard that will stop safely. Mission creep.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/25 11:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Replace or rebuild everything in the brake system if it has an unknown service history.

This is a "single" master cylinder, so if you break a line, or blow a hose, you go from having brakes, to no brakes at all. Also make sure your parking brake is working and adjusted correctly, as that is your only backup plan in the event of unexpected brake failure.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 12:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved