Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

It's Alive! It's Alive!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Howdy!
Well today my two brothers Roger and Denis and my son Rob came over to help get my '55 Clipper Super started. It's been awhile since I got the car, but couldn't get everyone over until today.
After changing the oil..it looked like very old chocolate syrup..and the filter..just as ugly.
Roger took the distributor cap off to find that the car had been tuned up shortly before I received it.
We had plenty of spark but found out after some trial and error, that both gas line filters...one before the electric pump down on the outside frame rail, under the driver's door..and the one just before the carb, were both plugged up with rusty crap. So we removed both filters, we're using a new gas can, and hooked a new rubber gas hose directly to the carburetor. The gas tank is dirty and we think that the guy I got the car from had tried to start it using the gas tank and fouled up both filters. The old gas hose/line was also plugged up. Once that was resolved it started right up! Whoopeeeeeeee! Well, we found that the accellerator pump is bad, and the entire carburetor needs a rebuild.. Can I get a rebuild kit at the Napa store or do I have to bite the large bullet and get one from Kanter's?
The engine has a ticking sound and we suspect that it's a stuck lifter. The more we started it the quieter it became.
My brother Roger also did a compression test and the two chambers nearest the firewall both have under 30 lbs of pressure...then the pressure would drop off.
The other six have 120lbs of pressure! We put Marvel Mystery Oil in the two 30lb chambers cranked it over and the pressure moved above 30lbs and held.
Every time we started the car, it sounded better and better.
We also found one spark plug wire was bad. I have a new wire set on my list of stuff to get. Who has a good set of wires..are they too a special order??
At any rate, I was able to use the shop manual that Packard Info has graciously placed for our use.
The folks on this website rank very high on my thank you list! Your input, and your pats on the back are much appreciated!

Posted on: 2008/9/28 19:42
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print 

Re: It's Alive! It's Alive!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations!

You might find a kit at Napa with the tag # but if not, carb kits are available thru most of the vendors. Merritt and Tuscon Packards both advertise cheaper than Kanter. The Carburetor Doctor also.

Posted on: 2008/9/28 20:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Doesn't it give you a feeling of accomplishment to hear it run. Quite a high, right.

For the carburetor kit you might also try Daytona Parts Co. (904) 427-7108.

Posted on: 2008/9/28 20:27
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:
We also found one spark plug wire was bad. I have a new wire set on my list of stuff to get. Who has a good set of wires..are they too a special order??

Personally I like the universal plug wire kits that you assemble yourself. Every wire you get to measure and cut for a perfect fit. Usually Summit or Jegs will have a set for a reasonable price, around $35.

Posted on: 2008/9/28 21:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I get my carb kits from then-now automotive, used to be known as the antique auto parts cellar.

http://www.then-now.com/

When I get a car going that has not run in a while I like to do both the carb and fuel pump, then-now has those too.
I like to take the "whole patient" approach and look at the whole fuel system, this includes reconditioning the tank at a radiator shop that handles the "re-nu" process, look at or replace the line (easier than you think)then the pump and carb. I have never been dissapointed or had the boss break down due to fuel problems that way.

Posted on: 2008/9/29 6:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Congrats!

To determine why the two cylinders are low on compression, listen at the carb intake, the exhaust and the oil filler.

1. Stuck intake will puff back through the carb
2. Stuck exhaust will be heard at the tailpipe
2. Stuck rings will be heard at the oil filler.

I make a fixture from an old spark plug and an air hose 3/8' male nipple. In turn, put those weak two cylinders TDC on the compression stroke, screw the adapter in the spark plug hole and put 100# of air pressure in the cylinder. Very easy to determine where it is leaking out.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/9/29 12:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Speaking of audio sounds I had an audio sound of my 34 packard starting up. At one stage I had it linked to the packardaustralia website, but since removed it from the home page... I should really put it back on. The link to the car sound is:http://hillendnsw.com.au/packard/packard1.wav

Posted on: 2008/9/30 6:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Can?t open this homepage

Posted on: 2008/10/1 18:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved