Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Speedometer match between 1939 speedo and 700R trans
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
I have a 1939 Super Eight sedan that I have upgraded to a crate motor and 700R automatic. I have the original 1939 speedometer I have had rebuilt and would like to keep. Has anyone any advice on mating the 700R to the stock Packard speedometer? Will the Lokar speedometer cable work? The original speedometer was made by Stewart Warner, so the threads on the fitting on the back of the speedo should be some type of standard size.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/1/9 21:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Speedometer match between 1939 speedo and 700R trans
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
"upgraded", eh? only advice I can give is: duck, incoming

Posted on: 2016/1/9 21:59
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
Had all the blowback from restoration purists, thank you. Wanted a reliable daily driver, not a trailer queen or weekend warrior. On the spectrum of modification, I went a bit further than adding a Torqueflight trans to the straight eight or updating the brakes to discs, but the idea is the same---having a safe, reliable car to drive every day.

Posted on: 2016/1/9 22:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have any direct experience with them but this place has off the shelf components to adapt the GM trans to other speedos or in some cases can custom make some adapters and might be able to come up with something for your project.http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm

Posted on: 2016/1/9 22:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
Thanks so much for the info and the link. Will post pics of the Packard once it is finished and on the road. Also have a ton of stock running gear parts to pass on to those who are keeping the faith and keeping it stock.

Posted on: 2016/1/9 22:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I have a 1939 Super Eight sedan that I have upgraded to a crate motor and 700R automatic"

""upgraded", eh? only advice I can give is: duck, incoming"

That's why there's the Modification Forum, which this thread is in, and the Packard Owner's Registry having provision for modifications to be detailed.
boosquat for including your '39 Super Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

However, notice in the Registry entry that the right hand column has somehow become attached to the foot of your entry, or so it appears to me! BigKev, can you sort that out please?

Posted on: 2016/1/9 23:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here in Detroit we don't understand why people put so much money into such projects when new cars are so much better.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 7:59
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
Old cars and hot rods have everything to do with passion and feeling and very little to do with logic. Detroit cars do not have the character or style of the classics for some of us.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 20:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You're having to match the rotational speed of the cable to the speedo to give the right reading.
Some have gears to change some won't ever be right.
If it's an electronic model you can program it for wheel size etc. You can have the speedo upgraded to look original but modern electronic guts top match. Just how much you want to do to get an accurate speed. I'd talk to the suppliers and let them figure it out.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 10:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hot rods have all the class and style of Lady Gaga and Boy George. If a Chrysler Mini-Van can out perform a vintage Ferrari on a racing course then I don't see the point of a hot rod.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 13:47
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved