The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 49

Ernie Vitucci, Jason75, more...

Engine Stand
Just can't stay away
From Wisconsin
Another novice question, but better safe than sorry. I have had the engine on the stand and have been disassembling it to the point where I need to flip it over to get the crankshaft out. Since it is mounted sideways, and these straight 8's are huge, I am wondering if the stand is stable enough so I can turn it safely? I added some extra supports to the back legs as the pictures show but I'm still not sure.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_7228.JPG (306.02 KB)
94705_5755baa66b1df.jpg 1461X1852 px

jpg  IMG_7230.JPG (363.66 KB)
94705_5755bab2d05d1.jpg 2047X1422 px

Posted on: 2016/6/6 11:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Engine Stand
Forum Ambassador
From Southern Arizona
I cannot speak to ever removing a straight eight from a Packard. My experience is with a Packard V8 removal. That said, I think you are asking for trouble given what I see in the pictures. Using those supports as a sort of 'outrigger' is something I would never personally attempt. Further, brick crumbles under stress. Find another hoist and get more feedback from others.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 16:45

1955 Packard - The Four Hundred
5587-4182 - Paint H Trim 84 (when born)

Live, love and laugh.

Home away from home
From Terrebonne, OR
A straight-8 is far to long to hang off of a standard engine stand by the end due to the leverage of the weight and length. You'll either need to have two stands - one on each end - or possibly support it by one of the sides, which you can possible do by making an adaptor to attach to the casting where the engine mount attaches, if it's a '51 to '54 engine. Earlier engines, of course, did not have the side engine mounts. I am working on a double-ended stand but havenít yet gotten all the needed dimensions to make the adaptors.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 17:33

Packard / IMPERIAL page
CA DMV Licensed Vehicle VIN Verification

Home away from home
Since you have mounted the engine by its side, as you rotate it the center of gravity should always be well inside the footprint of your stand. Have you removed the torque convertor from the flywheel yet? That will remove a lot of weight to ease the flipping over.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 18:39

Home away from home
From New Jersey
If you are unsure of the stand because of the shear weight and length of the straight eight. You could use 2 engine stand on either end of the engine and bolt the legs of the stands together.I have done this in the past with great success. Also since you are in the process of tearing the engine down. You could put the engine on a pallet on it side and complete the tear down on the ground to avoid having to deal with gravity.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2016/6/9 10:28

Home away from home
From Cordova, TN

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:15

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
Predictor Show Car
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.