Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37 Packard 115 Steering issue continued
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
awhile back I was asking about excessive play in the steering of my 37 115 Club Sedan. The other day I jacked up the front end enough to lift the front tires off of my garage floor. I was going to adjust the box but there was virtually no room for adjustment. I placed one of the steering wheel spokes at the 6:00 position. When turning the steering wheel from that point it moved about 4 to 4.5 inches before the wheels started to turn. I'm not sure where to go from here. The center crank bearing was replaced about 200 miles with no effect on the sloppy steering.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 20:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 Packard 115 Steering issue continued
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
You will have to remove the pitman arm from the steering box sector ,then take the cover off and pull up the sector and remove a shim or two under the sector. Then reassemble and test the play in the center or high spot of the steering wheel travel. Its a good time to put a new seal at the pitman arm side. It is a bit of a time consuming job. There may be a better way to figure out how thick of a shim to remove, but I don't know of it,maybe someone else does.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 17:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 Packard 115 Steering issue continued
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
There are heavy springs in the ends of the drag link. In the early cars they sometimes break causing lots of play.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 19:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved