Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Battery replacement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Hello Everyone,
I need to replace the battery on my 1955 400. I would like to get one of those batteries that looks like an original battery from when the car was new in 55. Anyone out there have one of those in their car? If so, where and when did you purchase it and are you satisfied with it's performance? I am also looking for a correct/original battery hold down. I've combed through the photo archives for 55 and 56 and no luck finding an engine compartment with a good view of the battery hold down. If anyone has a picture of one I would really like to see it. If anyone has a hold down they would like to part with that would be great. I realize there probably aren't many out there since battery acid and corrosion did a number on them. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Brian

Posted on: 2016/11/2 14:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some years back I also wanted a correct Group 60 battery so I purchased a Willard-labeled lead/acid Group 60 from one of the boutique battery makers. End result - expensive, looked perfect and failed after about 2 years. Bought a second one, same result. If I wanted again to pursue the correct appearance of a Group 60, I'd probably go for the gel battery concealed in a faux Group 60 dummy case. But it's no longer that important to me so I'm just using a NAPA Group 64. I'm still using an original hold-down and if no one else comes along with a photo, I could remove it from the car and take a couple of photos. But it wouldn't surprise me in you were able to find an OEM one at Kanters.

PS - looking at JW's photo in the following post, that hold-down appears to be a correct OEM type.

Posted on: 2016/11/2 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Brian, here is a photo of the battery and its hold down bracket which were in my 55 Clipper Super. Do not know the brand or size of the battery as all the stickers had been removed. It was a big one. I hope this helps.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (38.90 KB)
565_581a42ca2ac84.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/11/2 14:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Thanks Owen and JW for responding so quickly. This is exactly what I wanted to hear and see. I will give Kanter a call and see what they have. I have seen those covers you put over modern batteries to make them look old and was completely fooled by it. I will go that route. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
We do not have the fake battery covers, Owen was referring to the metal hold down which we may have. Sorry, entire inventory not in my head

Posted on: 2016/11/3 17:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Think that Gary Osko in California has the battery covers. Sorry, I don't have contact details.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 17:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Brian, you need to go the specialty battery outfits for your Group 60 battery need. Just Google antique automobile battery and you'll find them. A Delco-labeled one is shown on one of the sites.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 17:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
I researched those designer batteries and they are almost 3 times as much as a standard battery. I have a hard time justifying that money so I will go with a Napa battery and put the savings towards the battery covers. I found one web sight, "Tar Topper" but they don't have one that will fit a group 60 or 64 battery. I will try and contact Gary Osko for the covers and Kanters for the hold down. Thanks again everyone. Brian

Posted on: 2016/11/5 15:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

adam21
See User information
Any update? Where did you get your cover? Been looking for one also.

Posted on: 2017/2/26 21:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Sorry, no update yet. This spring when I do replace the battery and make it look 1955, I will update this post.

Posted on: 2017/2/27 0:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved