Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Removing Lock Cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
The other day my key broke off in the trunk lock. A friend of mine and I tried a number of things to get the remaining key out, but I had to get the trunk open. We finally managed to jimmy in screwdriver, turn the lock cylinder, and open the trunk. Needless to say that the lock cylinder was destroyed in the process.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How do you get the lock cylinder out of the lock case? As far as I can tell, there appears to be no release on the front of the cylinder, but there is a sort of lever in the back of the case. I pried it up, but nothing moved.

2. Do any of you folks have a spare lock cylinder and case that I could buy from you? Kanter charges about $95 for the case, lock cylinder, and medallion (the hexagon that turns to expose the lock). Since I don't need the medallion, we can work out a reasonable payment.

Thanks, Craig

Posted on: 2016/11/8 13:29
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Re: Removing Lock Cylinder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This service counselor article has info on the lock disassembly. I could be wrong but think the 56 Clipper version comes apart the same way & just the outer emblem is different. No suggestions on finding a less expensive lock unless Mike Dulinski might have a good used that might be able to be rekeyed to use your original key. Maybe he has both a trunk and glovebox lock which would have the same key.

If the key grooves on the sides of your cylinder are still usable Jessers or another locksmith might be able to repair it so you can keep the same key.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL29NO12.pdf

Posted on: 2016/11/8 13:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
This is good information. I will see what happens when I get home. Thank you.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 15:09
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is also some info on page 20-21 in the body section of SM on removing the the 55 lock assy. Believe the cylinder comes out of the housing the same way as the 56.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 15:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 1955 lock cylinder is different than the 56 and as MrBumble mentioned has a wire lever at the back of the case that will flip up but doing so does not release the cylinder. There is a groove in the cylinder that the wire rides in.
The only way that I can see to remove the cylinder is to bend one side of the wire lever straight and pull it out of the case sideways.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 17:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the broken key still in the cylinder will the screwdriver trick work to get it in the position they show in the article so the paper clip can push the inside lock piece in to clear the groove.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 18:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
check with pac sw.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 18:40
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here are some photos of a 1953-55 trunk lock unit to show the groove at the rear of the cylinder and the wire retainer at the rear of the case. Flipping the legs of the retainer up makes no difference to the retention of the cylinder in the case.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.41 KB)
1137_5822a26b5cb27.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (94.24 KB)
1137_5822a2a84f01f.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (90.60 KB)
1137_5822a2fab29f6.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/11/8 23:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Not to be a pessimist, but this sounds almost impossible. I did raise the wire lever, but of course nothing happens. It's like the cylinder is fused to the case. I really would prefer to find a new/used assembly to this mess.

Posted on: 2016/11/9 9:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Soak it in some kerosene or ATF for 2 or 3 days and try it again.

Posted on: 2016/11/9 10:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved