Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel filter
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

spfan
See User information
Hi Guys, hoping to find some info. I have an 1957 Clipper sedan that seems to be hesitateing, possibly for fuel issues. Two questions; #1 does this car have a fuel filter and where is it? #2 Does this sound like it may be a fuel pump issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

spfan

Posted on: 2017/7/2 17:33
 Top  Print 

Re: fuel filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
My 53 Clippers fuel filter is right near the carburetor. The other morning it started on the first crank as usual and then died for the first time. It wouldn't start. I putin 2 gallons of gas and got the battery charged. Still wouldn't start. Very strange cuz she always starts on the 1st crank. Then I looked at the field filter. That's the problem I'm sure. I'm buying one in the morning. I changed it two weeks ago but my car had been sitting for 7 years so I'll be changing the fuel filter often until the sludge from the gas tank goes away. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2017/7/2 21:25
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If there is enough crud getting thru to clog the fuel filter I would also wonder about larger particles clogging the screen located in the bottom of the fuel pump.

Posted on: 2017/7/2 21:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

spfan wrote:
Hi Guys, hoping to find some info. I have an 1957 Clipper sedan that seems to be hesitateing, possibly for fuel issues. Two questions; #1 does this car have a fuel filter and where is it? #2 Does this sound like it may be a fuel pump issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

spfan

The parts manual shows the filter for the model 57L Clipper without supercharger is located on the bottom of the fuel pump. A supercharged engine uses a different pump and the detail on that pump makes it hard to tell if a filter is in the same location but it probably is.

It appears to be a typical ceramic element type used by most mfgs of the time and those can clog or varnish up. Be advised you will probably need a new gasket when you remove the glass bowl to access the filter. I have no idea if the element is the same size as Detroit built Packards used since those are in a different assembly. The Packard elements are small and can be a bit hard to come by so if you cannot clean yours satisfactorily by using compressed air and a soak in carb cleaner or lacquer thinner you may need another. Possibly since it is Studebaker, there is enough call that a local parts store would carry or could get them but you may also need to go to one of the Studebaker vendors to obtain a gasket and filter.

With the symptoms, it could be the fuel pump, a clogged filter or, there is also about a 6" long rubber flex hose between the metal fuel line and the fuel pump. On the earlier Packard built cars those hoses can get hard and crack the internal lining restricting fuel flow. Some of the ingredients in modern gasoline additives can also cause old rubber in pumps and hoses to deteriorate.

If the air cleaner is dirty that can cause the carb to run rich and result in some drivability issues.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.94 KB)
209_5959b6eace0f0.jpg 752X1454 px

Posted on: 2017/7/2 22:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Make sure the number 17 rubber gasket is not old or distorted. The rubber tends to swell up and close the openings.

Posted on: 2017/7/3 9:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Thank you for telling me about screen on the fuel pump. Is that something I can access easily? I changed the fuel filter and that was the problem. It started right up on the first crank. I will change that 6 inch hose and if I can I'll clean that screen is that a big job to take apart?

Posted on: 2017/7/10 23:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as cleaning the upper filter seems to have fixed the problem I would let the lower one wait until some time the car is at the mechanic for something else. It would be a good idea to obtain a new fiber washer and cork (probably) bowl gasket in the meantime to have them available for that time or just in case it does act up again.

IMO, access in the car is not that easy and to do a visual inspection and decent job the pump almost needs to come out and be on a workbench. Depending on the pump style, there could be two screening methods. Some pumps use an ordinary fine mesh screen as shown in this illustration and other pumps have a series of stacked plates held together with thumb nuts. That assy consists of maybe 2 dozen thin stamped brass plates stacked in such a way there are tiny gaps between the plates. The gaps act as the straining mechanism. To clean that one the plates need to be disassembled, cleaned and then positioned and restacked being careful not to bend any of them.

Viewing and accessing either assy with the pump in the car would be tedious. In addition, there is a gasket -- most likely cork -- which will probably be stuck to the bowl or casting and damaged when the lower bowl is removed. You would need to see that all the remnants of the old gasket were completely removed before a new one would seal properly. A fiber washer that is around the large bolt holding the steel bowl to the pump casting completes the seal.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.22 KB)
209_5964e49f13c7c.jpg 748X1122 px

Posted on: 2017/7/11 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
That certainly isn't something I want to do. The previous owner said he had the fuel pump rebuilt before the car set for seven and a half years. It runs beautifully now. I siphoned all the gas out and I put in Lucas Fuel Treatment and it runs beautifully starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day. I hope the screen is clean. I'm concerned about my generator more than anything. He said it's never been rebuilt and my lights are dim. The horn makes a small sound even after I put in a new horn relay and cleaned all the connections. It looks to me like the gas tank is grounded but I'll let the electrician who's going to rebuild the generator tell me. What I'm most concerned of is the oil leak. It's coming from the oil line from the oil filter canister into the block. It's hard to get to and appears to be tightened though I don't want to tighten it too much but it does leak oil

Posted on: 2017/7/11 22:27
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved