Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Torsion-Level gearbox
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I can't find a '56 update on assembling the 1956 TL gearbox.
There has to be precise placement of the bottom of the gearbox because that piece engages the limit switches and so has to be assembled carefully so that the lobe (ear) that engages the limit switches is properly placed. I've looked in the manual and the Service Counselors etc but can find no specifics on reassembling this gearbox. What am I missing?

Posted on: 2017/4/11 12:39
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Torsion-Level gearbox
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe it will only go within a very narrow range because inserting the retaining bolts requires they have a fairly straight path into the top half to fit thru the holes. Believe the one next to the limit switch (arrow) in the illustration is offset outward from the circle pattern of the others and can only fit in the one place. That would serve as a locating point. I didn't measure but looks like there is slightly wider spacing between the pair of bolts on either side of the limit switch on the opposite side.

When I assembled mine the only thing I worried about was to have the "Vee" or bottom point of the lever facing the passenger side as the birds eye view photo shows. Since the cam plate is keyed to the lever it will then be in the correct position in the bottom housing too.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.54 KB)
209_58ed1b5ad7765.jpg 516X780 px

jpg  (14.25 KB)
209_58ed1bbf544aa.jpg 332X334 px

Posted on: 2017/4/11 13:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Quite correct Howard. As long as you have the 'V' facing the passenger side, it is aligned properly because the gear that engages the 'V' has a blind spot as shown in the pics. The shaft can only enter the gear one way and if you align the 'V' properly everything is aligned properly. I should have guessed Packard wouldn't leave something so critical to chance.

Attach file:

jpg  (211.36 KB)
23_58ed209858d42.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (198.03 KB)
23_58ed20b13b41f.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2017/4/11 13:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The T-L gearbox (55 or 56) looks complicated, but it's not as difficult reassembly as it might seem. Here's what I did on my 56 Panther (nee Clipper). I also overhauled the gearbox in my 55 Pat soon after. Both had problems, but are now good to go.

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/torsionbars5.html

Craig

Posted on: 2017/4/11 16:29
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved