Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

RCJ56, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 steering connecting rod spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi everybody,
I am searching for the spring that fits inside each end of the steering connection rod on the 1929 cars and compresses up against the bolts behind that big threaded slot nut on each end of the rod. One of mine came out in three pieces. The parts book indicates that all four models (630, 633, 640 and 645) used the same spring.

It is really heavy duty. it is an inch and a quarter long, one inch outer diameter and just over half an inch inner diameter. It has four coils and the ends are ground flat. The spring material is about 3/16 inch thick, so the spring is really stiff. If anyone has a spare they are willing to part with, please private message me and let me know what you want for it. Thanks!

John Wogec

Posted on: 2019/1/14 13:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 steering connecting rod spring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you don't find any original springs, from your description consider Century Spring Co.'s Die Spring D-42 which comes very close, just 1/4" longer which you could grind down to length. Die springs are designed for high static loads and high shock, and extreme service life.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Thanks for the recommendation! I kinda assumed I would wind up finding something close that works. So many of the Senior parts are getting harder to find.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
You might try the repop Ford dealers like the V8 or Model A guys. The parts to rebuild the drag link are not all that different. Check with the parts men to find out the size of the parts you need.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
John you might ask Glen about a valve spring that is the same size?

Posted on: 2019/1/14 21:16

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening...Try Bratton's Model A Parts. Ask for Walt Bratton. He has been in the business as long as Owen has and will be able to compare the spring sizes with you. It seems to me that they are very close...Ernie in Arizona.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 22:34
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
You could also check with Kantor and Max Merritt as they are the major Packard Suppliers and also the Flackmaster, as he is into the pre-war machines. Ernie in Arizona, again!

Posted on: 2019/1/14 22:45
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
If you haven't found them yet, I have a bunch of extra ones you can have what you need for the price of postage.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton.

Posted on: 2019/7/28 15:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved