Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

Todd W. White, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Frankford plating
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I was looking to have some chrome mouldings replated for my car. There is a plater in my hometown (Philadelphia pa) called Frankford plating; depending on which reviews you read they are either the best players in the business or the worst I wanted to get some opinions before I take the parts to them.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 9:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Frankford plating
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many years ago (20 or more) I used Frankford Plating rather regularly, they were then on Orthodox Street in downtown Phila and perhaps they still are. Quite a few of the better restoration shops in the area also used Frankford, their reputation especially for very difficult jobs, for example repairs and plating on deeply pitted pot metal, was just excellent - they were the "go to" place for high quality work. They were also a regular advertiser in the AACA magazine and others. The downside for me always was delivery times, you as an individual with a few parts were competing for shop time with full-time restoration shops send in work in high volume and with tight timetables.

I was always extremely pleased with the quality of the work, it was superb; some of it is now approaching 40 years since it was done and is still excellent. However, I have no current experience with Frankford and don't think any of the local folk here in my area are still using them, though for reasons unknown to me. Your mention of the name was perhaps the first time I've heard it in a very long time.

Sorry I can't be of help with a recent experience. If I were to need some parts plated today, I'd probably start by speaking with the shops that were and still are long-time players in the hobby, advertising regularly in our publications and actively seeking the collector car business as opposed to focusing on marine and commercial. I'd also inquire where the better restoration shops and sending their work.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 9:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
About 6 years ago I had Grill bars and top and bottom parts done there. The back of the center bar looked as if will rust. All the bars were notched with a cut off wheel leaving some with about off 1/4 inch of the tab left. Why didn't they drill them with a very small hole, to hang them with the wire for plating? It is my understanding that it is now run by the son of the original platter, who does mostly commercial plating. Very detailed parts are sent to another phily platter to finish.

I would use Librandi's Plating 717-944-9442 in Harrisburg,Pa. very close to the air port complex. I had my conv.windshield frame done there and had one spot one the back of the vertical post that looked as it might lift later,so I took it back and there was no argument,they just redid it and sent it to me no extra charge.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
One of the many stories I have heard over the years of a business being taken over the years by the son of the original owner and just not being the same.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Librandi's Plating worked well for me too. He did my '39 grill and other odd bits and was 1/2 the price of Paul's Chrome who I know does excellent work also.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 16:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved