Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
57 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 52

Joe, mjschenden, humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Driving light location?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have a set of really nice Packard (Unity) driving lights that I purchased online as NOS. They are flawless and I wanted to mount them on my car. Problem is, I have poured through scads of photos of pre-war cars and almost all of them have the driving lights either lined up with the headlights or slightly narrower in width between. My car has the bumper-bars, 2 high, and the only location the lights seem to reasonably 'place', is just to the outside of the bars, which makes them wider than the headlights. (otherwise they're behind the bars) Is there any convention here? I stand back and look at the 'beak' of the car and they look okay there, but I would not use them before installing them in a fashion that would defy convention and look 'dorky'. Any thoughts??? Or is this one of those 'in the eye of the beholder' things?? Chris

Posted on: 2019/4/28 12:37
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Driving light location?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Since these were probably dealer or owner-installed originally, it might make a difference if the optional grill guards were also installed. I would have to dig out photos of where they were on my 1940 110 but it probably wouldn't help because I'm the one who installed them. As you suggested, it's probably a matter of taste.

Posted on: 2019/4/28 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Don, Thanks for weighing in. All I am looking for is OPINIONS, I realize there is no 'hard and fast' rules - just thought that if all, or most, of the cars I checked out online had them more-or-less lined up with the headlights, that might have been an accepted convention; who knows, maybe even a reason for it?!?!? I think mine look OKAY just out side the bars, but I think they would look BETTER 6" inboard. I emailed a couple of light suppliers and asked about longer brackets or bracket extensions - one guy even got back to me and said he was thinking of getting some extensions made, so there must be a call for them, maybe folks up against the same thing I am.. I will post a picture once I get the car licensed and out on the road and maybe I can get a 'yea' or a nay' from the readership. Probably should ask my wife too, eh?!?!? Women have good taste! LOL Thanks for your time, Don.

Posted on: 2019/4/28 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Or you could just send them to me and I'll put them on the '46 Packard.....
John

Posted on: 2019/4/28 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yeah John, that IS an option.... but they're such nice, shiny ones!?!?!?!?

Posted on: 2019/4/29 0:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Since you're asking for opinions, it is my opinion that cars look much better without the bling. Neat novelty, but detracts from the clean look of the car.

Posted on: 2019/4/29 3:28
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hi Chris

I have a 1941 120 Club Coupe which came fitted with a nice pair of old Dietz driving lights - fitted just inboard of the headlights. Bet they don't look as nice as yours. These work really well and do seem to correspond to your preferred position. I toyed for a while with fitting the accessory protective grille to this car, but was deterred by having to move the driving lights. So for me, it came down to "the grille or the lights". I chose the lights. Maybe you face the same choice? Just my tuppence worth.

Will try to attach a pic.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/29 4:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved