Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ticking Sound at Idle on 120 Straight 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
This may be a wild goose chase, and hardly ranks with some of the issues dealt with in this forum. But here goes...

I have noticed a light mechanical ticking sound in the engine of my 1941 120 Club Coupe. Not very loud, but there from start up (cold) and perhaps a bit less as it warms up. Engine was rebuilt a while back. Tappet clearances and compression checked more recently (all ok). Oil pressure steady at 40psi. It runs fine, and I probably would not notice it except that these engines are so quiet!

Any idea what this might be? One suggestion is that it's the drive finger on the mechanical fuel pump. Could be.

Any other ideas? Has anybody else noticed the same thing? Not sure if I should even worry about it.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/28 0:23
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Re: Ticking Sound at Idle on 120 Straight 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
wrist pin????

Posted on: 2019/4/28 1:15
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Tell me more...

Are the pins retained by circlips or press fit? If circlip, having one come adrift could do a fair bit of damage to the bore. Would the noise come and go as the loose pin moves around?

Maybe I should try the old-fashioned stethoscope trick to help locate it?

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/28 1:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
A piston noise should change when grounding a spark plug and snapping the throttle open. A piston pin should be a lower pitch and change somewhat when grounding the plug during deceleration after snapping the throttle open. A sticking valve should change after spraying Gummout down the carburetor. A broken valve spring will show up on a vacuum gauge. Tappet noise will occur when a valve stem is not exactly parallel to the tappet. It will change when putting heavy oil or a feeler gauge between the tappet and the valve stem. Loose valve guides will show up after putting thin oil down the carburetor. That is, the motor will run better. An exhaust manifold leak will change during acceleration and become less loud after warm up. It can be checked by putting small amounts of thin oil down the carburetor with the exhaust routed outside the garage, or by using soap and water when the motor is cold. An arcing coil will show up as misfiring during full throttle acceleration. A belt will go away when tension is changed. A fuel pump will remain fairly consistent and be felt through the pump body.

Hopefully you can make up a list now and work through the possibilities. Here in engineering I get to put everything in writing and when something goes wrong I take out the paperwork.

Posted on: 2019/4/28 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks Tim

That list will keep me busy for a while! I'll check the easy ones first, starting with feeling the fuel pump. The performance of the car feels fine. I can't hear it with the windows up, so will probably lose enthusiasm for chasing it somewhere along the way.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/28 17:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved