Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

Packard Don, 1887mike, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Changing the Subject
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When anyone changes the subject from that originally used it is nearly impossible to find since the left sidebar continues using the original subject and clicking on the email links don't work for me! I got a notice that there was a new posting but only just found it by trial and error as following the links in email is something one should never do for security reasons. I always go back directly to the site, then find the new postings in the menu so is there any way that the subject can be locked from being changed? I know that BigKev works hard on maintaining this wonderful site and am not sure how much flexibility xoops has or how difficult it might be for this sort of thing or even whether anyone else has the same issue but thought I would mentioned it anyway.

Posted on: 2019/5/15 2:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Changing the Subject
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree that it is hard to search for a subject or posting when the various threads start on one topic or subject and diverge. Yes, I know I am one of the offenders and maybe not completely unbiased but in a way I think it is a good thing this forum is so loose. I would rather have it like it is rather than impose more structure.

Those who have been around for a long time may remember the structure at the AACA Packard forum and the PAC forum. Both were heavily moderated at the time this forum was started. AACA seemed to be fairly active but anything posted off topic for the thread or otherwise deemed unsuitable by the moderators was sometimes moved but more often was unceremoniously deleted and the poster received a reminder from the moderator about proper forum ethics and structure. PAC seemed the more restrictive and even the word modification got a post booted. I believe both of those moderators are no longer in those roles but IMO, there were some who didn't take being censored well and damage was done.

Whether that is part of the reason BigKev started this forum I cannot say but once it was up and running it took almost no time before Packardinfo became the most active and wide ranging of the three forums. Minimal moderation and wide latitude at Packardinfo meant AACA almost overnight dropped to a very low use. PAC being the main Packard club was a little better at volume but still heavily moderated at the time. It became much better after Dave started as a moderator but still has nowhere the activity this one has.

One thing that might help finding a post again on this forum would be the forum recent topics section. Early on the recent topics list showed many more posts. I don't remember the reason it was shortened but perhaps being able to view a larger number of more recent post subjects without having to go individually thru the forum sections and try to find a recent date or remember what posts were active at the time would help as a reminder.

Posted on: 2019/5/15 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
When anyone changes the subject from that originally used it is nearly impossible to find...

There is no blind spot when using

a) search or

b) advanced search.

PackardInfo allows even Google to look into every corner.

Quote:
...Yes, I know I am one of the offenders and maybe not completely unbiased but in a way I think it is a good thing this forum is so loose. I would rather have it like it is rather than impose more structure...

Posted on: 2019/5/15 15:05
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you want to see ALL the topics in the order from the Newest Post to Oldest. Click the "Topics" button at the bottom of the Recent Forum Topics. This gives you "All Topics" screen which shows you all the topics (regardless of Forum), from the most recent to oldest.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.27 KB)
1_5cefdb5d4f8b9.jpg 472X1200 px

jpg  (338.58 KB)
1_5cefdb643445d.jpg 1904X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/5/30 8:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I appreciate that 'changing the subject' in a post can 'lose' topics, and a conscious effort by posters to try and not do that, is probably all that is needed to correct the issue. As far as changing the site in ANY way, that would impose more oversight and make us 'more heavily moderated', I, for one would like to cast my vote against this. Packard Info is an EXCELLENT SITE. The open exchanges, the info and data available and the MANY folks who very regularly weigh in on any and all issues, make this resource extremely invaluable. I say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. And probably as good a time as any to extend a 'thank you' to Big Kev and all who give of their time and talents to create, build and maintain P.I. I know I speak for many, many users who appreciate what we have here. Thanks guys. Chris Goodfellow.

Posted on: 2019/5/30 20:21
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved