Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stationary Grip Assist Seat handle removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello All,
I need to remove the stationary grip assist handles from the back of my seats to be repaired,I see the 2 screws on inside of the Seat's but the outer sides have the emblem and not sure how to remove them if needed to access screws underneath if there.
As always any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Posted on: 2019/6/10 7:27
 Top  Print 

Re: Stationary Grip Assist Seat handle removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The emblems slide into their bases from the top. Bump them upwards with the heel of your hand.

Posted on: 2019/6/10 11:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I was thinking the 56 slide on, but the 55 have pins like roof "V"?

Attach file:

jpeg  (345.59 KB)
1220_5cfe9ea124132.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/6/10 13:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
You need to remove the seat backrest cushion to access the nuts on the inside of the seatback frame

Posted on: 2019/6/11 0:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, you are right. It is only the 56s that slide on. You get to the 55s from behind.

Posted on: 2019/6/11 4:52
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
You are correct about the clips can anyone tell me how the clips are
Removed?
Thanks

Posted on: 2019/6/12 6:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very Carefully!!! If it has the typical flat rectangular or circular speednut Packard used then there are two or three tiny sharp pointed tangs that are pushing against and grabbing the pin.

You need to carefully work a small jewelers screwdriver or a sharp pointed object under the ends of the tangs that are grabbing the pin. Use the small open space between the end and metal base of the speednut and lift or slightly bend the ends away from the pin. Once the grip on the pin is somewhat relaxed you can pull the speednuts off. Sometimes just bending one tang will relieve the pressure and other times you need to do all of them.

Don't get carried away with the bending as the tangs can break. Usually a gentle release is enough and if the tangs do get bent, unless the speednut is rusted or in otherwise poor shape they can generally be bent back enough to work again.

If it is not the flat speednut holding them but rather a tubular retainer that is pressed into a hole where the tangs are not visible, there is not much you can do with those except work very gently to try and pry the pins out. Go a tiny bit at a time moving from one pin to the other to keep pressure evenly distributed and hope the tangs have not got such a tight grip they never give up. Even then sometimes it is a lost cause and the pins will pull off the script or emblem.

Posted on: 2019/6/12 8:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved