Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 Cylinder Head Gasket
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
I have a 1934 1100 (standard 8) and think I've blown the head gasket. I am looking for information on removing and re-installing the nuts on the cylinder head, specifically torquing order and torque values. I found some info in the service bulletins on a later year but want to know if anyone knows specifics on the '34. So I'd like to know:

1. Order of tightening the 27 nuts.
2. Order of loosening the 27 nuts (I guess I would assume the opposite of tightening.
3. Torque values.
4. Any other advice you would care to offer.

Thanks

Posted on: 2019/6/13 12:59
 Top  Print 

Re: 1934 Cylinder Head Gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Loosen in any convenient order.

Tighten (torque) to 62-63 foot lbs in 3 more or less equal steps. Retorque after about 1 hour of running, again after perhaps 10 hours, and again at the end of the driving season or year.

EDITED. For sequence, bottom image below should be the same as your 1100.

Some guidelines here for general advice on doing headgasket jobs.https://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=863

It's quite possible that for the two cylinder head nuts between the pair of ignition coils, to get clearance for the wrench head you'll have to use a long extension to raise the wrench head above the coils.

DO NOT surface mill the head unless absolutely necessary!!

Mark the position of the distributor drive shaft slot BEFORE removing (note that the drive slot is slightly off-center!), it can install in 4 different positions but only 1 is correct. Just to be safe, also note the position of the distributor rotor and don't rotate the engine until the distributor is remounted.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.37 KB)
177_5d02a09149668.jpg 384X754 px

Posted on: 2019/6/13 14:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bill Hawley,
Although a member here for some time, first post so to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '34 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/6/13 15:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Owen,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. Your information is most helpful.

Bill Hawley

Posted on: 2019/6/13 18:52
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
I will look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

Posted on: 2019/6/13 18:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Suggest while ur going after this new Head Gasket u install a couple of steel bushings in the Coil Base. Seen many break with torque being placed on this old pot metal Base. Machine the 7/16 hole out to 3/4 and install a steel bushing thats a tad higher than the Base. Torque then goes thru the steel bushing to the head.

Posted on: 2019/6/14 12:20
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Thanks for that tip. Mine already is cracked and I was trying to figure out how to repair that. Drilling the holes out and installing bushings seems like a good way around it. Appreciate you taking the time to drop me a note.

Posted on: 2019/7/14 18:34
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved