Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Window gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Wondering how this could strip.

Attach file:

jpg  (92.45 KB)
4498_5d1aebad3b269.jpg 1150X1829 px

Posted on: 2019/7/2 0:29
Riki
 Top  Print 

Re: Window gear
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If a sedan, my guess is a steel shaft turning a brass gear moving a window that is traveling at a fairly good speed suddenly slamming into a stop at the top or the bottom is the reason. All that inertia has to go somewhere when the stop is felt thru the linkage. While the motor stays powered before you can get your finger off the button and keeps trying to rotate the armature shaft, when the rest of the gearing suddenly stops something has to give. Logically it would be the brass rather than the steel every time but in those motors the thin spot where the worm threads are cut into the shaft and then end leaving about half the shaft thickness seems to be the weaker point. Add to that there is no bearing support close by so the long shaft can whip and frequently snap. Fronts on a two door have almost same scenario except the linkage is more complex and window is heavier so it hits the bottom harder. The top of the inner door panel doesn't seem to flex going down like it does when raising the window so I don't think it absorbs as much shock in the down direction.

The quarter windows are a different story. In the up direction, the motor works extra hard because the linkage connection is only an inch or so away from the pivot point of the window and slides a relatively small amount to raise the weight of the window around the pivot. The motor has to raise the heavy back end of the window with almost no spring assistance or mechanical advantage. I would imagine the gearing in the motor is under a tremendous amount of stress even under the best of conditions. Add in dry lube or a bind in the guide channel and the problem gets worse. Wear has to happen somewhere and the brass gear is probably what takes the brunt of it. I would guess a tiny bit of brass is lost each time the window moves. In the down direction, a shock similar to the fronts but maybe the stop force is not quite as great because the linkage is not moving as fast due to the close pivot point.

It would be interesting to know what the life of the motors was when the cars were new and driven daily. Since the supply of new stock on the original Delco motors apparently ran out not that long after Packard was gone and Studebaker had to come up with a substitute in the Leece-Neville's, there must have been a turnover even when the cars were young.

Posted on: 2019/7/2 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Window gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Rikki, Does your question arise out of just general curiosity or if you are looking into the cause before replacing the gear in order to avoid a similar fate for the replacement gear.

Also, if replacing the gear (out of curiosity) are they hard to find?

Posted on: 2019/7/5 8:28
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved