Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 75

Tom (Packin31), John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shutter thermostat help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Lambert
See User information
I am having a hard time adjusting the Pine Winterfront thermostat on the 34. I can get it set for fully closed but only opens up part way when hot and also the opposite way, adjust to fully open but won't close all the way.
I need more throw.
Does the 1 1/8" all exterior thread nut control the throw?
If so which way, in or out ?

Richard

Posted on: 2019/8/6 11:58
1930 Packard 734 Speedster Sedan
1932 Packard 900 Light Eight Sedan
1932 Packard 903 Deluxe Victoria
1934 Packard 1101 2/4 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Re: Shutter thermostat help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming you've got all the correct components and nothing is binding or assembled incorrectly. Does your Pines actuating lever have multiple pivot holes so you can select shorter/longer strokes? If so, change the pivot to give longer stroke. You can also "flip" the lever to get different strokes.

Attach file:

jpg  (92.27 KB)
177_5d49dd9e14922.jpg 796X1597 px

Posted on: 2019/8/6 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Lambert
See User information
Dave,
See attached;
This is what I have, nothing like yours.
I still think the big threaded bolt/nut on the right will give me more movement, but have tried both ways with no luck.
Richard

Attach file:

jpeg  (245.35 KB)
4382_5d4affc990a58.jpeg 1920X1440 px

png  (1,372.10 KB)
4382_5d4affe26b5b7.png 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2019/8/7 11:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Trying to remember, I had a thermostat cover plate like the one you picture at some early point in my car but for whatever reason I replaced it with one that didn't have that center stem packing device. Perhaps Packardbarry can clarify the different types of Pines thermostats and corresponding cover plates, I seem to recall your type is mentioned somewhere in the service letters as an adjustable type. Have you been thru the Service Letters?

Some service parts for your unit are available from Classic & Exotic, and I believe Hirsch still has a few thermostats. When they are gone, it will be time to repair the old ones as is now done with the earlier style so hold onto it if you replace it.

Cover plate should be painted black, not silver.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 12:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Richard,
That sure LOOKS like the same thermostat as on my '39. My manual says to adjust the threaded rod until all the slack is taken up, then 1 1/4 turns more to 'preload' the springed shutter assembly. This works on mine and it completely opens and closes. My guess is either your T-stat is not 'throwing' completely, or possibly the linkage that connects your shutter assembly has been forced and is bent, such that it is not completing the open/close cycle completely. If the linkage was ever seized or jammed and the T-stat imposed it's considerable force on it, there could be some bent metal in there somewhere. Chris

Posted on: 2019/8/7 20:42
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Lambert
See User information
Thanks Chris, will try that.
Richard

Posted on: 2019/8/8 6:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Guys, I think you need to look at the underlying thermostat itself and not just the cover plate. The actual Fulton Sylphon part number is stamped on the backside.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 7:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved