Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mirror Identification Help Needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I came across in my shop what appeared to be three of the same type mirror but looking closer I see that each is different. The one of the left has a smaller diameter glass and the other too have different angles behind where the glass attaches. Any idea what years and models these fit?

Attach file:

jpeg  (231.57 KB)
60923_5d688ac77e8c3.jpeg 1920X1441 px

Posted on: 2019/8/29 21:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Mirror Identification Help Needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2019/8/29 23:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The mirrors shown at left and center are for 51-54. You can tell by the angle of the top of the stem, where the mirror head is attached (and pivots).

I can only venture a guess that the smaller head is some sort of repair attempt.

The mirror shown at right is for 55-56. The stem is cut more squarely.

Posted on: 2019/8/30 11:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you! I had already looked at the other posting linked above and, while interesting, it didn't tell me anything that answered the question of actual identification. However, I thought that the 1951-1954 mirrors attached to the belt molding but these are flat on the bottom. Now that I think of it, though, I have a 1954 Patrician door with the mirror so I'll take a look to see how it mounts!

Posted on: 2019/8/30 11:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I covered the subtle distinction between 51-54 and 55-56 designs in my gripe about the incorrect American Arrow mirror that I got stuck with and in a follow-up posted a little further down in that thread.

You should download the Accessories section of of the 1951-1954 Service Manual, which is archived on this site in PDF format and check out the illustrated installation instructions for that mirror.

It might help you see why the angled cut at the top of the stem, where the head attaches, only works with the stem laying in a horizontal plane, but not for 55-56, where the stem is in a more vertical orientation.

Nevertheless, it looks like both of your 51-54 mirrors have the unique attaching hardware.

The 55-56 mirror requires a formed mounting plate, which uses a completely different kind of attaching screw.

Posted on: 2019/8/30 15:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I actually have the manual but it's at home in California while I am currently at my Oregon shop. I'll have a look when I return. However, I just checked out the three sets of 1954 Patrician doors and none have, nor did they ever have, the belt molding mirrors. Does anyone still reproduce them?

Posted on: 2019/8/30 15:47
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved