Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

DavidM, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

# one cylinder tower on cap? '38 six
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
I can't find where it's supposed to be. Does it really matter? I understand that I need to time the oil pump to the cam to change which tower is used but none of my books designate the "proper" location. Getting ready to start it, Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (249.74 KB)
144730_5d6ee2a17699f.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/9/3 17:01
 Top  Print 

Re: # one cylinder tower on cap? '38 six
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the most part Packard factory wiring diagrams showed the plug wire orientation so on this diagram of the 38 six it would appear the engineers placed #1 at the same approx 7:00 position where many of the inline eights were also positioned.

As you said, one or two teeth off on the oil pump gear and #1 would land a bit differently but all would still work as long as the appropriate correction was made when connecting the plugs. For the next guy working on the engine it is still nice to try and get it where it is expected.

Attach file:

jpg  (269.34 KB)
209_5d6eeb6e63fb6.jpg 1620X999 px

Posted on: 2019/9/3 17:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: # one cylinder tower on cap? '38 six
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
What is nice on the eights, and I believe also on the sixes, is that when everything is assembled per the factory, #1 is at 7 o'clock and if you make the vac advance point straight forward the timing will also be correct within a couple of degrees making for an easy first start.

Posted on: 2019/9/3 19:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved