Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water pump shaft info
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi all,

I just wanted to share this bit. Classic and Exotic Services sells shafts for water pumps and they list this item which is for 1931-1932 Packard 8. I wanted to let you all know that it's exactly the same shaft that's on my '36 std 8 as well.

https://www.classicandexotic.com/store/p-247-1931-32-packard-8-water-pump-shaft.aspx

-Crin

Posted on: 2019/9/7 21:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Water pump shaft info
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting comments about the metallurgy.

Posted on: 2019/9/7 21:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Indeed. I hope it lasts longer than the last time I had it rebuilt. Please see pictures. The shaft is quite worn.

Attach file:

jpg  (382.44 KB)
2652_5d7509055ae05.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (233.64 KB)
2652_5d75090f65806.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/9/8 8:59
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jim/KB1MCV
See User information
Crin, when properly rebuilt your pump should last many miles/years.

The shaft needs to be dead smooth and the packing carefully taken up. If the packing is over-tightened the gland can overheat quickly scoring the shaft. In most applications an occasional drip is to be expected.

The traditional shaft material is tool steel.
Possibly technology has advanced to where some flavor of stainless steel is better.

Checking the water pump for leaks should be part of your underhood inspection.

The surface speed of that shaft is considerable and as normal RPM of the engines increased over the years and cooling systems became pressurized, it became more difficult to maintain the pump without leaks. I suspect the introduction of permanent anti-freeze may have also played a part in the introduction of lip and later ceramic seals.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2019/9/8 19:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreeing completely with Jim. I've tried over the years to keep my packing adjusted to allow the occasional drip of coolant. The pump has been happily doing its thing for decades.

Posted on: 2019/9/8 19:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
That's where I went wrong. I didn't know how that pump was sealed because I sent it out to get rebuilt years ago and that was that. Taking it apart and learning about it now made me realize why it drips and not to over tighten the packing - which I did simply because I didn't realize how it worked. Live and learn ...

Thank you all for your comments.

Posted on: 2019/9/15 16:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved