Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Rear Window Shade for '34 R/S Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
I have most, if not all the parts for the mechanism, ie top roller, end caps, bottom/base of shade (basically a wooden stick with metal end pieces), the cordage and even the little wooden shade pull. I don't have the fabric, but most importantly, I don't know how to test it or rebuild it.
Does anyone have a resource for such a thing ?
Thanks,
TomB

Posted on: 2019/9/15 16:07
 Top  Print 

Re: Rear Window Shade for '34 R/S Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The fabric on the rear shades of my 34 Eight sedan has the feel of silk. I never had one apart but always assumed the mechanism functioned the same as old-fashioned household window shades.

Posted on: 2019/9/15 16:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Hello Owen, and thanks for your reply.
I would assume you are right, but most of the stores I've brought the parts to have no idea how to test the mechanism or take it apart to rebuild it. Seems the shades/mechanisms nowadays all come from China and are exchangeable, but not repairable. If it wouldn't be too much to ask, when you have time, would you mind taking a few pictures of your shade, maybe up, down, halfway, and how the cordage is arranged. I may be missing a piece or two and not even know it.
Thanks again,
TomB

Posted on: 2019/9/15 16:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, some years ago someone pulled one of my shades about half down. It was probably the first (and only) time in 70 or so years the shade was pulled down and it took me nearly endless hours to get it to go back up. So I can take pix "as is" but won't take a chance on exercising the mechanism.

Posted on: 2019/9/15 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
I don't blame you Owen, and I wouldn't want you to put anything in jeopardy that's for sure ! I will most gratefully accept any pictures you can provide !
Thanks again,
TomB

Posted on: 2019/9/15 17:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have some of the pieces you might see if they look anything like this. I remember shades from the 50s and 60s that had a mechanism that was similar. If I recall the little pawl piece attached to the roller needs to be very free so when raising the shade it is kicked out and then centrifugal force holds it away from the notches on the center pin and also being free it can fall down and hold the roller when you slow down and stop the shade in a certain position. If something is missing possibly a modern shade could be purchased and that mechanism would fit in the hole in the original roll and be hidden well enough.https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/how-to-repair-windows4.htm

Posted on: 2019/9/15 18:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Hello Howard, and thank you too for jumping in. As a matter of fact, the end pieces look similar or exact in most cases, but I need to double check. Of course I have no access to the spring unless I try to take it all apart and I'm reluctant to do that right now, but you are right, and I'm up for new mechanisms if they'll work and not show. I guess if worse came to worse, I could glue a chosen fabric on the top roller, insert the bottom stick, attach the curtain-pull and hope no one does to mine what they did to Owen's and that is "pull" on it !
Regards,
Tom

Posted on: 2019/9/15 18:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You are are are that the ends of the bottom stiffener or rod has eyelets at each end that have elegant little vertical cords running thru them? This is to keep the shade from flapping around and keep it close and tight to the glass.

Posted on: 2019/9/15 18:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Yes, that sounds right...I have that "stiffener" rod or stick as I've called it, and attached to each end is a metal end piece that is not flush with the end of the stick but sticks out from the end of the stick enough to let a small cord to be passed through...just as you've mentioned !
...does that (you're right, that cord is elegant)cord attach somewhere at the top of the roller mechanism, passes down the side of the shade and through the metal end-pieces (the eyelets you mentioned)on the bottom rod, and then get attached somewhere to the cabin (or in my case it might be the package tray) and the shade travels up and down on the cord ? In my mind's eye it starts to make more sense that way...What do you think ? Or what do you see ?

Posted on: 2019/9/15 19:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The vertical cord that controls the bottom rod is terminated below with a small upholstered button. I'll have to refresh my memory tomorrow about how the upper end is retained. Have you looked for factory pictures that might show the assembly? Perhaps a pix in the showroom catalogs, maybe the Salesman's Data Book?

Posted on: 2019/9/15 20:06
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved